Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ghost Town

Yes, I live!

I am still limping, but I really am fine after getting flipped on. Brose told me a little more about what happened and let's just say I am *really* thankful to not only be alive, but walking and coherent.

Somehow, when Skip flipped over on me, he managed to miss all my pressure points with his. As a result, I am sore but not dead.

The ranch, however, is. Today the last guests left, and there's just a handful of people left to close up shop. Six people, 72 horses and 1300 acres.

Today, it's been just three people since everyone but Brose, Will and myself left for the day. Heck, my car even went. I'd gone into town yesterday and really just felt like crashing today, which is what I've done.

I'm the lone kitchen worker remaining and I get to not only close up the kitchen (no clue what that entails; guess I will learn shortly) but also feed the remaining wranglers, guest services and management staff. This is daunting to me as I have no menu but a lot of leftovers.

Tonight will likely be the best meal -- I had a nice cut of meat left over and am making roast. From breakfast on out, who knows. I have 24 eggs for seven people (someone's wife is coming to stay with us, too) and four breakfasts. Not sure how that's going to work out, other than a lot of pancakes.

Since I had to work the lunch ride on Thursday (a bitter subject I need to let go) I was exhausted today and after lunch I headed to my cabin and crashed.

Well, I killed flies first. Again, this is nothing like Morocco, but the tune of flies just drones all the time. Within a four-minute span, I'd killed six and not even tipped the iceberg. Anyone watching the windows would think I am spazzing out because I keep moving the curtains and slapping at the windows.

I cleaned out the fly carcassas from the two light fixtures and already there are two more (apparently really stupid) flies caught again. I relish the thought of them being dead in three days anyway, but the incessant buzzing is annoying.

No comments: