Saturday, September 4, 2010

Off the beaten track

I went for a great ride this morning up Crazy Mountain. Around it, too.

We -- three other women and myself -- went up with Brose, meaning it would be a fun trip. Sure enough, we went straight up the mountain, and down and around other places.


At one point, I was leading and saw this huge ditch-type thing in front of us. I figured we'd make a right turn, but Brose said to go down and up. I was like, uh, you first. Honest to God, I thought he was kidding, but he went right down and popped up again, so I followed.

Stupidity, ignorance and blind faith lead us to do very inane things.
But it was a really awesome ride. We saw a herd of deer and some weird animal carcass, but other than that, it was cool rock formations.

The view from the top is absolutely gorgeous from any angle, really.

There's another ride this afternoon, and I will be taking Newt out one more time. I'm trying to get used to his canter, which is full speed, even over the brush that's on the sides of the mountain.

This week has been long. I did the lunch ride yesterday and managed to not get a break afterward. I wound up working 12 1/2 hours, and prior to that already had 40 hours in my work week. I still have a half day yet to work, too.

The lunch ride was much better yesterday than the other week. I drank unsweetened tea and water instead of lemonade and it wasn't so hot. I didn't get sick when I returned, and I managed to bring the hit of the party -- blonde brownies.

Zippy sent me the recipe, and I have no idea where it originated but it's gone over awesomely here. As in, a day later, people are still talking about them.

Still, I hope I've done my last lunch ride, but somehow I don't think that's the case. There are still three rides left and there are three of us in the kitchen. We'd hoped Trevor would want to do them, but at some point he will want to ride one. The math doesn't work out.

Next week (which starts Sunday afternoon), we're getting three German guys in for a visit. Vivian, who is from outside of Frankfurt, is really excited about having them come over and stay. They'll be here over a week, I think.


After that, there are only two more weeks left of guests. I stay for another week to close up the kitchen. I've no idea what that means except I get an extra week of employment. There are others staying in the other two "departments" (guest services and wranglers) but I am the only kitchen person staying.
There's nothing new on the job front, which is depressing. I found out four of the CDC jobs are being filled by people other than myself. It's awesome for them but man, I am getting dejected. I do not have the slightest idea of what I will be doing for pay after Oct. 1.

I do know that I am almost done with the book, and have received a paycheck for my part. I am really relieved it's almost over.

No comments: