Monday, May 6, 2013

What’s for lunch?


So, I killed my laptop. Barry’s been telling me to get a new one, but I didn't expect it to happen this way.

We have volunteers in now, and since I'm still living in the triple wide I am not coming over for breakfast, but as soon as I get in, I start to break down the area, etc.

So Monday or Tuesday, I did that. I just walk in and I carry my laptop and everything else in a little bag. I think it’s from one of Zippy’s tournaments.

Got in, tossed it on my desk and started cleaning up from the breakfast. An hour later, I came back and smelled something. My rice! It had spilled. And not only had it spilled, it had soaked!

It sure smelled good, though.

Really, the screen is the only thing that's toast. I hooked it up to another monitor and pulled everything off it, but considering the thing is so old I figured to just move on. The only stuff I couldn't figure out how to pull off it that I can’t replace was the old Outlook messages. I’ll figure it out

When Uncle Gray died, I put $1k aside for a laptop. I was going to get one then but I have to have Access for work. I hate Access and won't use it after my service here, so I didn't want to buy it. It's expensive. So the money got socked aside.

And now it's tied up until October, since I put it in a CD. However, since I did that I got my old sitemate's laptop, which had been donated to Hope Village and was on loan to her. And, as it turns out, it has Access.

So I am just going to use this one until I am done here, and then figure out what will happen. It is highly likely that I can just take this one with me. It's nothing special, and in fact might be just as old as my other one, but it's at least faster.

So I am kind of hoping to be able to keep it, but we'll see. It's got a bigger screen than I like; I tend to go for the smaller ones. But this one is better for Netflix, I must say.

I just have to remember not to use that particular container to carry lunch if the lunch is fairly liquidy.

I don’t have much longer to stay in the house, though. I’m down to my last five days. Soaked in the bathtub last night and am planning on doing that this week, too. I haven’t splurged on it near as much as I should have.

But this weekend, despite having a crappy cold, I have done the deep cleaning on the trailer. It’s really not too bad, since I really only sit at the bar and read, watch TV or use the computer or sleep in the bedroom. I don’t even usually lie on the sofa. The big TV is in there, but I couldn't figure out how to hook up the DVD player to that one.

On that topic, I bought a little TV from Best Buy. By that I mean 24 inches; I think that’s small compared to today’s screens. I am replacing the one that was stolen from the RV, and I wanted to get one that I could take to the foreign service if I decided to.

I’m slowly moving back to the RV. I mean, it’s not like it would have taken a whole car load to begin with or anything, but I’m just piecemeal moving stuff. Tomorrow, I have long-sleeved shirts and the rice cooker. There’s no real method to the madness.

The lake around the RV’s dock has dried up, but the whole pond is still there. We have had some nice weather, though, and almost all of the snow is gone.

Maybe spring will stick around.

No comments: