Monday, May 27, 2013

Running cost of my soul: $2.04

I’m not into the 21st century. Jen told me the other day I was born out of time. I should have been a settler. I forget how this came up; I guess somehow it came out of either a Morocco, ranch or Indonesia-type story. Or maybe it was just somehow related to the RV, which continues to sit in a swamp.

Yeah, I have a really dumb phone and have never owned an iAnything, but it’s not that I don’t embrace the Internet. Granted, the best it’s done for me in recent memory is deliver me season four of “Arrested Development,” but I do use it constantly.

Even if it doesn’t actually reach the swampy RV. This Memorial Day weekend I’ve been re-watching seasons 1-3 in my office, which is a really pretty boring place to spend a holiday weekend.

But that’s not the Internet’s fault. It’s the router’s fault, or the wifi, or something else. I’m not sure. I don’t really get to nuances of digital this or that. That’s why I have a brother.

But I don’t buy into the whole new technology thing. I don’t feel the need to go out and keep up with the Jones; never have. I’m quite content with what I’ve got.

I’m resistant to a Facebook account, although I am responsible for updating the work one. I had someone create a fake profile on her account so that I didn’t have to get one of my own in order to maintain the Hope Village one. (Like us now! www.facebook.com/HopeVillageND.org!)

But for personal reasons, I don’t want that much of me out there. Yes, I have this blog but let’s face it, it’s mostly because I like to write. Maybe four people read it. I don’t put enough specific information out there to identify much of anything, including who I am. I just don’t like the idea of throwing all my personal information on the Internet. I’m not sure why anyone would.

However, Facebook isn’t the only way people can sell out in the 21st century, and even though I don’t buy into most of it, I finally gave in. And the running total of selling my soul so far is $2.04.

I gave into the Internet marketing mine fields of Target recently, acquiring their Red card. It’s this monster thing that’s connected to my own bank account. But they also know what all you buy.

Of course, Target is the king of marketing mining anyway – Laurie brought that one to my attention (http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/). So I figure they have all my information anyway since I use my regular debit card, so why not go ahead and acknowledge it by going official?

The benefit Target pumps for this little piece of technology is 5 percent of your order. Whatever it is, you get 5 percent off, with the exception of gift cards.

I’m not a really big Target shopper, though. Or any other shopper, come to think of it, but why the heck not? They know everything anyway.


So from here on out, my Junior Mints are costing .95. Woo-hoo.

No comments: