Monday, May 13, 2013

Eyeing the last six months


Back in the RV. It’s as glorious as it was before, which is to say not so much.

The mattress is the worst. It’s an RV mattress, which means it’s bendy so that I can access the storage panel below it. Because it’s so old, there is a permanent crease in it. And it’s about at butt-level.

So, once I get settled in, I’m fairly all right. But it takes some maneuvering. Picture a dog making a nest by doing circles, but doing it drunk, and when it came time to flop down, missing half the hole.

That’s a nightly ritual, only no booze. I flop down and part of me lands in the right spot, because there isn’t enough “right spot” for the rest of me.

During the night, it’s kind of rough because my feet stick off the end. The new electric blanket works all right, but I got a full one and I really should have gotten a queen, even though it fits the bed. You just can’t tuck it in and since I’m too tall, I tend to get cold.

And get cold I did, because on Friday, when I moved back, Steve forgot to give me propane, so I was darn cold. Not when I was sleeping but before I crashed and when I woke up.

Because of the pit in the mattress (I’ve tried to fix this by layering yoga pads underneath it and quilts on top of it, but there’s still a canyon there), the art of waking up is incredibly rough. I swear I have to get up momentum to pull myself out of the pit.

Once I did Saturday morning, I was just so cold. I went through two cups of hot chocolate before I just opted to sit in my office and watch Frasier on Netflix.

After Steve came by and hooked up my propane (turns out, he’d been distracted by not only the painkillers he was on but the fact he decided to propose that evening), I got much warmer but still had to resort to the office laptop for Netflix.

I bought a new TV and haven’t yet gotten it hooked up to either the dish network or my DVD player. This has not been the most exciting of weekends.

And it’s going to be like this for my remaining six months, I guess. I have mixed feelings about that. I mean, the little trailer wasn’t super nice or anything, but it was heaven to me. Now I’m back to being at the beck and call of the meals here (the stroganoff tonight was great) and essentially having no reason to do anything else.

Day to day, that’s fine, but week by week, it makes me wonder if I will ever have a life. Honestly, I feel at this point here, it’s too late to start. I don’t mind being bored usually but at some point, I would like to do something.

The two road trips I can pencil in are Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I’m not sure when I can go, because things are picking up at work. We have four teams in this week and then it starts filling up. We’re pretty much at capacity in June; I am pretty sure I’ll be super busy then.

So that’s cool. I guess I am just at a point where I just need to hang on and enjoy the ride.

No comments: