Monday, October 25, 2010

Heading north from Rabat

I've spent a few days in Rabat, which, regretably, I've discovered isn't on my itinerary at all. I think it should be and will lobby for it.

When I realized it wasn't, I wish I could have left but I have to stop in at the Embassy anyway, so I hung around. It's been a good way to get acclimated. I'm staying in the familiar PC hotel and was able to get things like a SIM card and modem for phone and Internet access.
And I checked out the tourist things. Rabat is a beautiful city - far better to visit than Casablanca. (Remember, the movie was filmed on a Hollywood set!)

I went to both the Chellah and the Mausoleum of Mohammed V. The former are ruins thousands of years old; the latter, housed in the ruins of an uncompleted mosque that, if finished, would have been the seconod-largest in the world.

It's very odd to be here as a tourist, albeit a working one. (Despite staying in a PC-level hotel, I have gone into some very nice ones for research.) I am not accustomed to bringing a camera everywhere and taking notes. And, when hassled, I am not able to honestly say "Ana machi tourist" or "Ana ghir muttaweia." "I'm not a tourist" or "I'm just a volunteer."

In Rabat, the hassle isn't too high-level. There are so many tourists here it's really a good way to ease into it. I did get my first marriage proposal last night, though.
It's shocking, really, how much is accepted here. I spotted two Moroccan girls wearing shorts, and I almost fell over. That is so hachuma in most other parts of the country, but in Rabat, it's just Sunday.
I'm leaving here today after the Embassy errand and heading north to Tangier. Technically, it's not on the itinerary either, but it's not far from Chefchouen, which is. And we'll likely play around Chefchouen some, which might mean a trip to Tangier.
I've never been, obviously, so I am trying to do research on the area. I've got some hotel names from Couchsurfers and suggestions for what to do in the area. I also hope to visit Tetouan, a place I've heard good things about, before going to Chefchouen and then down to the Fes area.
Right now, the weather is fairly toasty. I actually dread the thought of being here in the summer. Or not here, really -- the Sahara. I still can't believe that normal people would consider the camels in July. I think right now it won't be bad, but man, it will be super hot in Erfoud in the summer.

No comments: