Sunday, March 1, 2020

What a difference understanding makes


My Russian stinks. I am trying but I’m a terrible language learner and Russian is a hard language anyway.  What I need to do, people say, is watch Russian TV and videos to help learning. There’s a tutor at work and I’m working with her, plus using both Pimsleur and Mango. I also found some “learn Russian while you sleep” stuff on YouTube and have tried that. Nothing really has stuck so far. It’s a very, very slow process.

One of the options I might have for my next tour is in Kazakhstan, and I’m eyeing it because it would give me six months of Russian language studies. The position requires a certain level of language ability, and one of my hopes for this tour is to give me a head start because I think I need a two-year advance in order to get to that level. Seriously. I’m trying a lot of methods. Gosh, I even went to YouTube and pulled up an episode of “The Simpsons” in Russian, but it confused me because it seemed like it was people reading the script over the original, no real voice inflection and the same voice doing multiple characters. And by that, I mean the same voice from the same person, not the same person doing multiple voices.

Last week, I went to see “The Gentlemen,” which was showing in English. I successfully got my ticket and made my way to the theater. I had thought I selected a seat in the middle, but I wound up being close to the wall. Wall, empty seat, me, rest of row. I practiced trying to read Cyrillic during the coming attractions. I get hugely excited when I recognize a word.

But when the feature started, I didn’t recognize a word. The movie starts with a brief voiceover and then the screen opens up. As soon as I heard the voiceover, I realized there had to be two showings of “The Gentlemen” at the same time – one in Russian and one in English. The dubbed-in voices were not English.

At that point, I just decided to stay there and consider it a two-hour, $5 Russian lesson. Yes, I could have been more assertive and walked out and found the right theater, but I was locked in by the wall and decided the other people shouldn’t have to suffer with me packing up my coat and everything and tripping over them. So I stayed and tried to follow.

I’d read a little of the plot of the movie, but, watching it in Russian, it didn’t match what I’d read. I was thinking Hugh Grant had some kind of movie plot. The Toddlers – no idea. And who works on cars dressed like that? But I did catch “Balshoy Dave,” which is the translation of “Big Dave.” I was so excited when I knew words, but the whole plot – no idea. I came home and read the Wiki page (I donated to their fund-raiser, so I reference it guilt-free) and – yeah, I didn’t get that out of my two-hour Russian lesson.

On Friday, I went again to see it, this time going into the right theater and wow what a difference. It made so much more sense, although The Toddlers were still a bit baffling, as was the dress for the auto shop. But there’s no way I would have ever caught on to all the intricate plot details. It was very dialogue-heavy and understanding one word every five minutes or so didn’t do it.

Other than that, it’s been a fairly dull weekend. I’m trying to talk myself out of getting a dog. I have a massive case of puppy love going on right now for this little yellow thing that’s at a shelter, and the shelter is closing down next month. Looking at her photo, the little blonde bombshell might get up to about 40 pounds. Just having a dog is a bad idea for me right now, no matter the size. I need to keep telling myself that.

My distraction for the weekend has been buying Shelby’s mom’s TV. I’ve been having all kinds of laptop issues and in trying to rectify them, I lost the Hulu password, but it was still on my Firestick. I caught up on “The Conners” and “The Masked Singer,” the latter of which has sucked me in, not that I have a clue who the judges are, much less their guesses.

Now I’m on “Where Did You Go, Bernadette?”, which is about a family’s trip to Antarctica. It was recommended to me when I was on the cruise but I missed the showing. I’ve got the book on hold but it’s still got a wait.

No comments: