Wednesday, February 26, 2020

I’m fine with global warming at the moment


The one thing I was worried about coming to Minsk was its weather, which is normally pretty bitter, windy and wet in the winter. And we’ve had our moments, like on Thanksgiving when I cracked my skull, but since I returned from Antarctica, it’s been balmy. Comparatively speaking, of course. It’s not a sunny Florida winter, but a 35-degree high is pretty fantastical as far as I am concerned. And today it hit 45!

Traditionally, it snows until June or so, so I’m not holding my breath but at the moment I am thoroughly enjoying it. On Saturday, I took a long walk and a run on the treadmill. It was so nice. It’s still raining here and there, like on Sunday, but by and large it’s warm and daylight out. I’m no longer walking to and from work in the dark, which is just so much nicer than November or December. (January, too, but I was cruising.)

I’m still really looking forward to summer and have started making travel plans. I’ve signed on to Chernobyl and Bratislava and am a little worried about coronavirus, but what are you going to do about it? That’s March and I have London planned for April, so I’m hoping travel is OK by then. I’m really psyched for London; I’m planning on meeting Laurie and going to a show and Stonehenge, which is a bucket list item.

Honestly, other than a cage diving, I’m not sure what all remains on my bucket list. Iguazu Falls, maybe. Route 66. But that won’t happen this summer, for sure.

Beyond the trips planned and hopefully one to see Mackenzie during her exchange program (which I hope still happens) I have nothing on the agenda. I’m dogsitting Warrior for two months in June  and July, so I’m not really going to be able to run away during those months, and at some point we’re supposed to get an ambassador and I feel like I probably won’t be able to go anywhere big about two months before to about two months after. And that’s not fun because I have six weeks banked of leave and I’d like to use it.

Discovered today that the wonderful chocolate factory has a shop close to me. As it turns out, it’s essentially across the street from my apartment building. I stopped by and got a salted caramel bar today. It’s huge and should last two days.

Just another reason to love Minsk. If it gets cold again (and I  hope it doesn’t), I’ll swing by and get another hot chocolate with ice cream.

No comments: