Monday, March 6, 2017

This is what friends are for

Last month, I got a late Christmas present from Dana. Have I sung Dana’s praises lately? The woman knows what I like.

From Dana. But I ate some before
I took the photo.
We get little notifications when our packages arrive, and as I’ve been waiting on a package from LL Bean forever, I was expecting a little green bag when I ran down to pick up my package. Except the LL Bean package, which I’d mailed before Christmas, hadn’t arrived. Instead, Ender handed me this huge box that, even from where I stood, wafted peppermint.

I lugged the box to my office and ripped it open. That’s one thing Istanbul has over Guangzhou – we weren’t able to open mail in the consulate. I’ve been here seven months and I still get a kick out of ripping an envelope or package open.

Anyway, with Dana, I expected good stuff but she outdid herself. Inside, there was about 15 POUNDS of Christmas chocolate. Peppermint bark. Hershey Kisses. Fifteen pounds. Absolutely amazing.

She also included a knit hat from the Wings-Leafs outdoor game and some Wings gloves. Just in time for winter, too.

But the candy. Oh, the candy! I’ve shared some, hidden some and eaten a lot. So much that I think I’ve gained about five pounds. But I have to say, it’s been worth it. Thank you, Dana.

The five pounds has stuck with me, not that I’ve slowed the chocolate eating and given it a chance to be worked off. I haven’t been great about the gym the last few weeks because since being gone a week, I’ve been coughing and/or working late. I’ve missed a day or so each week and the days I’ve been in I haven’t been able to go full speed. I did once – whole hog – but it about did me in.

And this lack of gym time didn’t bode well for the 10k I was set to run in Antalya last weekend. I’d signed up long ago and it didn’t seem daunting. A friend from work went, but we traveled separately and didn’t stay in the same hotel. We met race day.
Sunrise in Antalya

Antalya is a wonderful city, with beach on one side and mountain on the other. I rented a car because the resort (yes, resort) I stayed in was a $65 cab ride away. It seemed cheaper to rent one and have a little freedom. I took a drive on Saturday evening before the race and just had a nice time looking at the water.

The hotel/resort was a nice place, and all inclusive. I had a private beach and though it was too cold to get into the water, it was a beautiful place to watch the sunrise.

I think I overdid the all-inclusive thing with breakfast the day of the race. I swear I didn’t eat much, but I’m used to running before meals, not after. I wasn’t feeling strong, but I did finish strong.

But I have absolutely no idea what my time was. When I went to pick up my stuff, I didn’t know to go to all these different booths and pick up bits and pieces of my little race kit. I got the number, the shirt and the bag but when I got to the race I realized I didn’t have the little chip thing to track my time.

I have no idea what my time was, but I really, really hope that I sweat off the five pounds from the chocolate.

No comments: