Sunday, February 26, 2017

Best part of the trip


At this point, my vacation is in the history books, but because I came back sick and then had another quickie the next weekend, I haven’t really pondered the trip.


The destination was selected for warmth and although it was much colder than expected (meaning high 50s, 60s and low 70s instead of the 80s-90s that I expected and I came away with a bad cold, it was glorious. I aimed for the desert, hitting up Muscat, Oman and both Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the UAE.

The plans included the snorkeling in Muscat and the Burj Khalifa and malls in Dubai, but I really wasn’t sure about Abu Dhabi. By that time, I was mall’d out; I think at one point I’d been to four in a day, and I am not a mall person. It’s just the thing to do in Dubai, so I went with the crowd.

Anyway, upon advice from friends, I did the desert safari thing from Abu Dhabi. These things are billed as once-in-a-lifetime excursions and this makes No. 3 for me, so that’s kind of relative. I did one in Morocco when I set up that tour, and of course that will forever remain the best, and then I did the one in Wadi Rum earlier this tour. But the one in Abu Dhabi involved just a quick excursion into the desert and “dune bashing,” which is when you get in a Toyota Landcruiser with five strangers and a driver and play follow-the-leader up and down sand dunes for about 30 minutes. I’m actually kind of environmentally opposed to these things, but there wasn’t much else to do there, unless you’re into malls.

I did the excursion at night, which means I got picked up from my hotel at 3 p.m. – this was a little snafu, because I was told “at 3 p.m. sharp” and when I stepped outside at 3 p.m. sharp, the concierge guy said oh, you’re waiting for them? They were here but left 15 minutes ago. He called them for me and they came back. The concierge, who was Indian, said, “Oh, you know how Indians are!” But they did circle back and get me. 
After meeting at a certain spot and letting a lot of air out of our tires, we played follow the leader in a group of about 12 Landcruisers (seriously, there were no other makes or models). We’d go 5-10 minutes, then stop again for something, like to see camels or just take in the view. I think this was to keep us from turning green. I saw one person – not in my Toyota – who was really sick.

The dinner trip dropped us off at a Bedoin camp, which is the same thing I did in Wadi Rum. In Morocco, it was the same thing except it’s called Berber there. But it’s fun. We had a nice meal and then there was a dancing demonstration – a guy and then a bellydancer. I was really amazed they could spin in circles for 5-10 minutes without throwing up!

At that spot, we were able to do little camel rides (like petting zoo rides, almost) and try our hand at sand boarding. Our little crew of Landcruisers got there first (all told, there were a couple hundred people at the event) and I went straight to the hill to try that. I wasn’t about to stand up, but I did drag the little board up the dune and sled down it about 10 times. It’s much harder going up than down!

It was a fun little trip, and I can’t imagine there’s anything left for me to do in a desert. Morocco is still the No. 1, in part because it’s Morocco and in part because it was an overnight trip. I remember seeing a shooting start and into Algeria. Toyota can’t beat that.

But once home and back at work, when people asked my highlight of the trip, it wasn’t the desert. Or the mall. After really thinking about it, it was stumbling upon Tim Horton’s. Oh, man.

For those who don’t know, Tim’s is a Canadian donut chain that has the best Canadian Maple donut ever. While living in Detroit, I went to Timmy Ho’s many a time. And when the chain expanded into the U.S., my area got a store in Livonia, so that was just phenomenal.

At some point, Wendy’s bought it, and then at some point, sold it or spun it off or something, plus lost the apostrophe. I personally refuse to drop the apostrophe, because Tim Horton, the hockey player who founded the chain, did not have an “s” on the end of his name. As far as I’m concerned, it’s still Tim Horton’s.



And there it was, in Muscat. Muscat was one expensive city and I was counting my rials, but when I saw Tim’s, I hesitated not. Well, that’s not true. I was walking and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something that I swore was a Tim Horton’s, but knew it couldn’t possibly be true, so I kept walking. When I realized it WAS Tim’s, I stopped dead in my tracks, then bulldozed in for a Canadian maple. And relished it.

Later, when I took a cab from the bus station in Dubai to my hotel, I saw another! After my trip to the Burj Khalifa, I walked back to the hotel – around an hour and a half walk – and found that one again and bought six donuts for my three breakfasts in the city. It was amazing.

Then, in Abu Dhabi, the last day after visiting the mosque, I went to the waterfront mall to try to find Five Guys. I got there around 10:30 in the morning and it was just too early for a burger, so I found Timmy’s again and had a chicken panini and another Canadian maple donut.


And  you know what, it’s everything I remembered it to be.

No comments: