Sunday, March 26, 2017

Life is grand in Istanbul

 Quite a week at work. As most people know, Istanbul has been on what we call “ordered departure” for five months, meaning most of the family members have left post for security reasons. This past week, we had a decision coming down on whether to bring them back as well as a decision in the pike about movement restrictions. They’re coming back, which is good news.

Very different 
Safety is paramount, and sometimes “use common sense” isn’t strong enough, so we’re still waiting word on the recommendation on the movement restrictions, and most people are thinking gloom and doom on it. Really, we have nothing to base it on, but everyone assumes we’re going on some kind of house arrest.

I’m trying to not buy into the pessimism, but I must say I was really happy when by Friday at 5 p.m. we hadn’t heard anything. It gave everyone another weekend to do whatever they wanted in Istanbul, and I hadn’t been to the Grand Bazaar yet. So that’s what I did, along with four others. I had nothing that I needed to get, but just in case, I wanted to see everything. It really wasn’t possible in a single day, though. Too much to see.

It’s a lot like the Fes souk, really, except it’s indoors. It really is a Grand Bazaar, and it was nice to see more tourists out. This is just such a fantastic place and it's so sad to see touristy places devoid of people.

I wanted to see lamps and carpets, and other were looking for leather jackets, tiles and jewelry. No one went away empty-handed, for sure. Gosh, we weren’t even five minutes in and someone bought a ring. It was a really cool ring, because whatever stone it was showed differently in all kinds of light. It went from green to purple to blue to red. It was quite amazing.

At one of the tile stores, someone bought multiple pairs of earrings that were hand-painted on little baby tiles. Another went to the leather guy, who makes custom leather jackets. One guy I work with likes them so much he had two made, but I feel like I have enough jackets.
A little skinnier than I thought

I wanted a lamp, but holy cow, they were hard to choose from. Most were Turkish tile mosaic-ish but I got a more subtle one in brown shades. It’s just a little desk lamp but once I got home I realized the light bulb is a slightly different size than what I consider normal, so I don’t have a bulb for it yet. They were much cheaper than I thought they’d be, and now I am considering a hanging one to put in my eventual house. But that’s all pending me being able to leave the house again. That might not happen any time soon.

So I, like everyone else, made the most of it. The other big purchases I made were rugs, although I haven’t paid for them yet. I went to the rug guy of a couple colleagues (everyone here has a rug guy) with the intent to look at runners. I’d like one for my hall, although I am fully cognizant that in my next assignment, I might not have a hall. That’s one thing to be wary of: buying stuff for a particular spot in my current house. I need to keep in mind to just buy what I love, no matter if I have a space for it now or not.

Need a bulb
Of course, the downside to that theory is that at this particular moment in time, my floor is crawling with rugs. I got two yesterday, although for now I am only test-driving them. I looked at a whole bunch of runners and didn’t completely fall in love with any of them but made a quick call to take one home. Once there, I realized it’s a bit skinnier than I thought it was and I do like it but so far don’t love it.

It is made from old saddlebags, as is the other one, which is fatter but shorter. It’s a tad longer than the others I’ve bought here; actually a kind of odd length – nine feet. The bigger one I liked immediately but wasn’t sure about because, let’s face it, I already bought two rugs here about that size and I am less than a year into my second tour. What if I go to Pakistan next? I LOVE their patterns.

But the colors in this one were really cool, and pretty much on the spur of the moment – I’d already eliminated it from the possibilities – decided to take it home. And, even though it’s just sitting on the floor in a random spot, it’s really grown on me. I like it more than the skinny one, even though I had been looking for a runner. So now I have to figure out if I want one or both, and where to put it or them while in Istanbul.

Such a terrible problem to have, I know.

No comments: