Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Home from the holidays

Thank God, I am home. And my legs still hurt.

One five-hour visit to a hot springs bath, two massages and three days later, my calves still hurt. It’s incredible.
Huangshan was really beautiful. I’m told they’re the prettiest mountains in China, and I can buy that. My traveling companion and I hiked for two days. The last six kilometers were DOWN the mountain. It wasn’t a trail so much as really, really steep stairs that switched back. There were so many stairs that once we got to level ground my legs couldn’t handle it. Days later, I am still tight.

The area is a UNESCO site and the stairs (and guardrails) have been added by the government (I guess) so people can climb safely and without damaging the mountain. I was really glad for them, especially when we were up early watching the sunrise on a peak. Although the place is a popular tourist site, it was pretty much dead except for then. Then, we were out there with a whole bunch of people pushing and shoving to vie for a good sunrise-watching spot.

That was annoying. My camera is pretty lame and I knew I couldn’t capture it, and I just wanted to enjoy the moment, not keep it forever. But there were so many people pushing and shoving that I couldn’t just hang and watch.

Anyway, I am home now until 2015. 

Happy New Year!



No comments: