Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Running in the past


So I’m done running. I’m now nine days from the last time I tried and it’s not any better. If anything, it’s worse. I drove today and now operating the clutch hurts. However, it’s still easier to do that than it is to climb into the passenger side of someone else’s car.

Today I did cave and go to the free clinic. I don’t have insurance, so this is an effort. It’s only open two days a week and it’s first come, first served. I was 10th, so it took almost two hours, but that’s OK. I brought a book.

My first order of business was getting a new lab work order for my TSH levels and that went fine. But the knees, not so much.

Both hurt, but the left is way worse. I’m told it’s swollen but I can’t tell. But it hurts continuously.

The doctor’s verdict is that I need an orthopedic, an MRI and insurance. Great.

I tried going down to another walk-in clinic to see if they happened to have an ortho and the power to do an MRI but no. So tomorrow I’ll be on the phone, I guess.

I’m just tired of limping around. It’s gotten bad. I’ve had people offer to loan me crutches, walkers, wheelchairs and canes. Realistically, the only reasons I’m not using them is the fact I live in an RV. A wheelchair and an RV don’t go well together.

But I have gone all Villages and adopted the resident golf cart to get across campus. When you have to walk 150 yards to pee, eat and shower, it can be very helpful.

So we’ll see what happens tomorrow and the rest of the week.

We’re off the Fourth and my supervisor has a big shindig at his house. I missed it last year because I worked at that air show, but this time I’m not doing that and will head out to his place. I won’t be doing much, but I’m not going to work.

This week, we have no volunteers on campus. Last week, we had a bunch of them, including one group that had been here five times. They’ll be back in October. I need to write a story about them but the pain and all the drama with the knees has distracted me somewhat. Need to get past that.

No comments: