Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Yeah, yeah, I’m late again


I recognize I used to be pretty good about updating this on weekends, but it’s just same old, same old and there’s nothing to update.

The swamp is back and the only thing that’s changing day to day is the number of mosquito bites I’ve collected. Today, we’re supposed to get flash floods this afternoon, so the dock will probably be floating again shortly.

For about the past two weeks or so, I’ve tried my foot at jogging. I started walking regularly for about an hour, mostly just to get off campus for a little. I decided to try jogging and man, it hasn’t worked.

I had the usual getting-used-to-it pains at first, which were painful but oh well. However, after about 4-5 days, my right knee started feeling really, really bad.

Perhaps it’s coincidence, but my right knee is the one where I tore the PCL a little – not enough for surgery – about 10 years ago (I was safe and went on to score a run.) And then two years ago, it’s the same one that came up severely bruised after the horse flipped over on me at the ranch.

With that in mind, it seemed like maybe running wasn’t the thing to do, but I have still been trying to do it. But two days after feeling like my right leg was going to snap off, the left one followed.

The pain is different; on the right leg, it’s more on the side. On the left, it’s slightly below the kneecap, so I’m not quite symmetrical in my pain. No clue on if that’s good or bad.

On Saturday, when I drove the Red Cross truck again, I could barely get in or out, so I knocked off totally on Sunday. However, yesterday, I felt just as bad so I went ahead and tried to move again for an hour. I figured if I even tried to jog I’d probably fall over, so I just walked. Slowly. It took a solid hour to do just the part where I had run previously.

Today is Tuesday (Happy Birthday, Laurie!) and, after the painful trip from the RV (the stairs are scary – I now fully understand and appreciate the whole “grab bar” thing), I made it to the dining tent, where Steve immediately told me I needed to see a doctor.

I won’t, of course, but the thing was, I thought I was doing better today. Once I get going, I can gimp along all right; it’s just the getting going that is really slow.

After walking last night, I sat at my desk with ice packs and watched the last of the Stanley Cup Final. I had my feet up, the computer streaming and the ice packs just sitting there, something like 10 p.m. or so.

It’s the church office and no one was there, so I felt right at home. Since the internet doesn’t reach my RV, my office pretty much is my home on the weekends, so I didn’t think anything about kicking back last night.

All of a sudden – I think it was right after Boston scored late – I looked up and my supervisor was walking up. He saw me and bust burst into laughter. I felt like Jake from “Major League” with the ice packs.

Anyway, I am thinking I’m not going to be a runner. This stinks because it’s something I could do on the cheap. And I don’t get it. I know running – or jogging very slowly, as I was doing – is harder on your knees, but I did the elliptical for hours in Jakarta and was fine. I don’t understand how jogging a total of .8 mile – interspersed with walking – is just not agreeing with me.

No comments: