Tuesday, June 18, 2013

So now I’m a concert promoter


Recently, I asked Jen if she planned on making tea. Last year, in addition to Gatorade, water and lemonade, we always had tea and I miss it. So, now that we’re swinging into a groove, it seemed like a legitimate question.

She kind of blinked and said, “Oh, I asked Steve about that and he said you did it.”

So now I am the Official Tea Maker of Hope Village. It’s “sweet, but not Southern sweet.”

Somehow, I wind up doing all kinds of stuff like that. When someone asked me about it this morning as I was wiping down tables, I said every time I do something that I think isn’t in my job description, I realize that I really don’t have a job description.

PR is, though, and honestly, you can really stick everything under PR. It’s sort of one of those catch-all things that encompasses chatting it up over breakfast with volunteers or helping someone track down a lost cell phone as I carry a toiletry bag in the other hand.

Two weeks ago, I found myself fielding questions thrown at me in the shower: “I’m sorry to bother you now, but …”

And along about that time, I added “concert promoter” to my list, too.

Last year, we’d had a supporter who knows a lot of local musicians offer to mix up a little get-together, like maybe music by the fire pit. Unfortunately, we couldn’t do it then, but kept it in mind for this year.

Independent of that, we also had an oil group – Hess & Halliburton – offer to grill for us. And for some reason, we couldn’t follow through with that, either.

So this year, once we hit our stride, we figured why not now? And decided to combine the two and have a cookout and concert.

And since that loosely falls under PR – somehow – I got to be the promoter. Yay, another hat!

Really, it was very low-key. The cookout folks (burgers, brats and dogs) could handle 120, and at first we thought we’d be pretty close to that count so I didn’t push it, But we had to postpone a day due to a conflict in the church (no mosquitoes) and therefore about 60 volunteers headed home that morning.

The up side of that was I got to invite more people from the community, so it was cool.

And just illustrating how much I own the media, I was 3-for-3 the night of, with one of those even appearing in the morning to promote it. I looked up and there he was – somehow I’d left my phone in the RV and hadn’t realized they’d been calling and texting to set up an appointment. When I didn’t answer, he just came on over, for which I was grateful.

Anyway, the event went just fine. I was a little disappointed that not all of the people who came to mooch food bothered to stay for the music, but that’s how it works out sometimes.

And now, I get to do an encore – we’re planning the same type of event on July 23.

No comments: