Saturday, March 3, 2012

Clone Wars

Before the copy editors get the stories to work on, they go through translators. We have four of these guys, and by far, the one that rocks the most is Hayat.

He’s awesome. With the others – and no slight intended – there are often gaps in stories, wrong verb tenses and the like. Lots of work.

The biggest, and possibly only, thing I’ve ever had to consistently fix is something little like this:

“I got a new puppy and named him Rally” Zippy said.

“He’s very high maintenance. A Kocur-in-training.”

Can you even tell what needs to be done in that? Barely anything – just close the graph.

So that’s darn clean. He’s the kind of journalist I wish could be cloned. My life would be so much easier.

Around Christmas, he was out for a little stretch. I missed him, as did we all. Not having a schedule or anything, I had no way of knowing if he was on vacation or what, so at some point, I asked when he was coming back.

Someone told me he’d had another baby, so the next time I saw him, of course, I congratulated him. He said thanks and I asked something about his other kids. At that point, one of the other guys said something like, “No, that was Hayat.”

I looked really perplexed, I guess, and the other guy repeated it, adding that Hayat was “Hayat’s twin brother.”’

Sure he was. And Hayat just laughed and said yes, he was Hayat’s twin brother.

I laughed it off and thought nothing of it.

Then, a few days ago, my neighbor colleague and I were lamenting the horrid work pace and Hayat’s name came up. In a positive way, I mean – he rooms with two of the other copy editors and they’re all in agreement that Hayat should run the paper. He’s that good.

Then, Neighbor Colleague said something about his twin brother. I almost fell over and asked for clarification. He said yeah, Hayat has a twin brother who looks just like him and works here. He said the brother sits at Hayat’s terminal and uses his login.

A bit later, another colleague came in the three of us discussed it. Apparently no one had ever seen the two together, though the second colleague claimed to maybe be able to tell them apart, a little in the face. He said that on those nights when we think Hayat, though still turning out clean copy, seems to have a little bit of an off night, it’s really his brother.

This is absolutely so bizarre to me. I mean, when I think back to the Christmas time incident, it now appears they weren’t blowing smoke.

Why, WHY would I have thought they were being clean with me? I mean who on earth, hearing that story, would have believed it? I mean, seriously, why would anyone believe that, from time to time, some guy who looks just like someone else would come in, take his computer, use his login and crank out copy? It’s just too bizarre.

But man, of all the people to clone, he’d be the one.

It was just too weird.

In other news this week, cable companies are globally annoying. My internet went out about four days ago and I still don’t have it back. The technician was supposed to be here two days ago and then today, but, after sitting around ALL Friday waiting, they never showed.

Once again, too, I am in between phone numbers (if you don’t use the phone, your number goes away), and the concept of “no, don’t call me, just show up when you say you will” doesn’t sit well.

Today they were supposed to show up between 11-2 but, even though I stayed at the house until 5, they never showed.

Thoroughly ticked, I finally left the house at 5. I had hoped to go to a movie and a doctor and half my weekly shopping but that didn’t pan out.

Instead, I at least made an appointment for a doctor and did about a quarter of the shopping plus I got the fourth phone number I’ve had since I’ve been here.

Then I called the cable company and asked where the heck the technician was.

The story I got was that the guy had showed up at 11. Beyond pissed, I was. I was here. Not only was I here, I was waiting in the lobby, where the guy would have had to walk through.

The dude on the phone kept saying the guy had tried to call me and I practically resorted to screaming. Four days in a row I’ve talked to these people and told them I do not have a phone, but they’ve been calling, apparently, my number No. 1 or something. I kept saying, “So why would you do that?” or whatever.

Oh my, I was – and still am – irritated over this. I just don’t understand why it’s so hard, but what can you do about it?

I’m trying again tomorrow.

Oh, Mother did get a new puppy, and its name is Rally.

The fact she paid $300 for the little guy is living proof that if you brand something, people will pay more. It’s a “chug,” which is basically a Chihuahua/pug mix that has a good publicist.

No comments: