Friday, August 6, 2010

Go West, young woman

The ironic twist in the whole YMCA camp thing is that now I am qualified as a prep cook. And that little fact turned out to be handy when I checked the CoolWorks web site on a whim.

That's the site I stumbled upon to discover the whole world of seasonal employment, which led me to the Y. You'd think I'd learn, but it didn't take. I tried again and found the Laramie River Ranch, which is in Colorado but essentially Wyoming -- it's five miles shy of the border.

And they needed a prep cook! I read the description for the job, which runs until September 30, and it was exactly the same position as I did at Camp Indian Springs, only in decent conditions. Like they have wifi in cabins and only 25 guests at a time.

So, still on the whim, I emailed them and asked if the position was still open. After all, I really didn't know if it had been posted for long or what. And within a day, they replied. I didn't get the reply immediately, as I was in Orlando picking up Nic and Zac, and by the time I returned, I not only had the original reply but also a nice "hey, did you get my reply" note, so I knew it was open.

And I applied. Not two hours after I hit "send," I had a response. After some very nice conversations, we decided that I'm a good fit for what sounds like a fun motley crew and come next week I'll hit the road.

I'll be driving quite a bit. Besides the two- or three-day drive to Colorado, I'm also heading to Gainesville tomorrow to return the nephews and then to Atlanta on Monday.

There might be something to this seasonal stuff.

No comments: