Monday, February 8, 2010

3-2-1 ... and we have liftoff

After a false start yesterday, I got to witness the space shuttle launch early this morning.
Yesterday, we'd gotten up at 1:15 and headed out to the space center to watch it, only to be clouded out. This morning, since the boys had school, we just woke up at 4 a.m. and watched it on TV until about a minute remaining, then we ran outside.
Since you have to have a cameraworth thousands of bucks to get really good pictures, I made do with what I could. Trust me, these are of the shuttle.
We had a streetlight nearby and I couldn't really see where it split, but I did see a few "ashes" coming off the cigarette-shapped shuttle. I don't think it showed on the little video.
So it's cool I got to see the last night launch. I'm glad Chris humored me.
Today Zippy and I will head back to Havana.
We've had fun with the boys, as usual. They had a bowling party for Jorden/Jordan/Jordon and Logan andI've informed Laurie I set the bar high for her next attendance at a birthday party. I had the kids running wheelbarrow races in between bowling turns.
Sunday, after sleeping late to recover from the 1:30-5:30 shuttle diversion, we headed out to play ball, then later to Sonny's and Marble Slab for BBQ and ice cream.
Nic, if you can believe this, ate coffee icecream mixed with bubblegum. Gross. (Zac had a vanilla cone with chocolate chips, much more normal.) Half of their is still in the frezer. Neither Zippy nor I got toppings, so we finished ours. (Sweet cream and mint, respectively.)
The boys are excited about the prospect of spending Spring Break at Camp Papa. I've no idea what we'll do with them for about a week, and maybe more. Since they're off school the Friday before Leon County's SB, Chris is even negotiating for a Thursday evening changeoff. We'll see how that plays out.
Kocur, my poor girl, has been all by herself these past few days. Well, not technically alone, but with no walker or bed warmer. During the past week, I started walking her -- nothing more than 15 minutes -- first thing.
And, spoiled girl dog that she is, she decided she needs to get up even earlier. She's taken to digging up the covers around me and if I don't react, she will stand on my back and claw me to death. At this point, she usually gets her way.
So maybe taking a couple of day break will make her little doggie brain forget about the walks and I can start doing them *after* breakfast.



No comments: