Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Not since “The Golden Girls” has there been this much talk about cheesecake


The stakes are up. I ran, and completed, my first 14k, and I did it in a time that was respectable to me. Plus, I finished on a good note – easily, I could have kept going. That’s fortunate, because in a couple of weeks I am on the hook for a 15k.

The race this time around was in the south of Turkey in a little city called Dalyan. It’s where baby turtles hatch and head to the Mediterranean Sea, so the race is called “The Turtle Race,” but in Turkish – Carretta.

It’s not carretta season, so we didn’t see any of them, but I did see the in-the-mountain tombs, which date back to the second century B.C. I swear, I will never get over that kind of thing. I’m utterly amazed at Turkey’s history and am so blessed to have the opportunity to drift by it on a boat, a stroll or a run. It’s everywhere here.

The city itself wasn’t much; basically it was the equivalent of a beach town or a little ski village – lots of cafes, restaurants and souvenir places. Perfect for strolling around, and we did a lot of that.

The run, the turtles, the beach, the in-the-mountain tombs, all that history, though, was second to the most important discovery of the trip: the cheesecake.

Backing up, I went with a colleague from work, M, and three of her longtime friends and travel buddies. M had d been traveling with her oldest friend in the group for about 20 years, and they’d met on a ski trip or something. The second came in a bit later, a friend from M’s church, and first ran with M and then they expanded that to traveling. The third came along a little later but basically they’d all been together for a long time and had a lot of fun together. They go on several annual trips, like some ski thing in February.

While I have zero plans to hone in on that, I had so much fun. I roomed with M and the oldest friend, F and the other two, who were a little younger, had another room. One of those two – T – oh my God, she was funny. While they all spoke at least some English, the longtime friends conversed more easily in Turkish, of course, so a lot of the time I was trying to follow conversations when I only caught a word now and then.

The one word I picked up on? Cheesecake.

T, especially, would talk really, really fast, and the tone was always upbeat. Without knowing the whole topic, I could tell that she was amazingly funny, but it was really hysterical to hear what sounded to me like, “Blah blah blah blah blah cheesecake blah blah cheesecake blah blah blah blah blah cheesecake.”

Wherever we were, the topic came back to cheesecake. And so did we – three or four times (depending on if you count the visits to the café or the pieces of cheesecake itself.)

One of the cafes, a little coffee and dessert place, served homemade cheesecake. My traveling quartet had made the same trip last year and discovered this place, but when they visited there were only two pieces remaining and they had to split them.

This trip, T called ahead and made sure they had five pieces for us, and, no kidding, we opted for that over dinner. The next day, after breakfast at the hotel, it was the first stop. I have to say, it was also darn good cheesecake, made by the owner himself.

While we were eating the cheesecake and drinking cappuccino (or, in my case, hot chocolate), I asked if they’d ever heard of “The Golden Girls.” Both M and F are about my age, so I knew they were in the target demographic when the show came out, but I had no idea if its popularity made it to Turkey.

It had. Not only had the two older ones heard of it, but the younger ones also knew of Dorothy, Ma, Rose and Blanche and remembered them sitting around the dining room table (the one that sat four, but for whatever reason [of course the camera] they never had a chair at one side of it and the fourth person always sat at a stool or the island or something.

The Golden Girls’ go-to food was cheesecake, and so was ours. We had a good laugh over it.

Honestly, with all we ate, both there and everywhere else, I’m surprised I was able to run. Plus, the race was on a Saturday afternoon, which seemed really weird since all the 10ks I’ve done so far have been in the morning. We did not eat cheesecake the morning of the race (I had fusilli broccoli) but as soon as we showered after, we made a beeline for the place.

Not a bad post-game routine, I have to say. It really was a fabulous.


No comments: