Saturday, November 21, 2015

Say no to crack

I have plenty of time to write this weekend because I am working an event for work. It’s some international trade meetings that happen every year and I guess we just got lucky. Usually they’re in Beijing the every other year they’re in China.


My job consists of babysitting a room that’s sort of an adjunct media room/lounge for the U.S. governmental offices. It’s really not bad. Of all the assignments, my personal belief is this is the easiest. The main show is about a 30-minute drive (no traffic) away, so I have the residuals. I’m on the day shift; it’s busier at night, I think, because some of the people are staying in this hotel. Since that’s waking hours in the U.S., my guess is they’ll be working a lot at night.

That’s a guess because even though this is Day Five of me sitting here, it’s only the first day of the actual event, which ends on Monday.

It seems that everything with the State Department involves a lot of planning, calendars that cover minute details and countless “countdown” meetings.

And lots of emails. Lots and lots of emails. And since I am in an adjunct facility, and the fact that none of these meetings take part in our office, I have to get the emails off site.

All this, in turn, means that I’ve been issued a Blackberry. It took seven seconds to hate it. It probably took seven minutes for me to establish a password that fit all the requirements, then type it – twice – with my fingers and/or thumbs.

Now, I feel like Pavlov’s dog with the damned red blinky light. I completely understand why they call these things “crackberries.” They are the devil’s idea so far as I’m concerned.

The emails come two and four at a time, with relays of “such-and-such car started its engines” and “such-and-such car left the site” and goes on to it being 10 or five minutes out, arriving or whatever.

And that’s just one example. All kinds of emails go back and forth. The first day, when I was bored, another bored person at a different location and I had them flying back and forth as to how bored we were.

It’s not healthy. I swear, I do not understand why people love their smartphones. This thing is a tether. I don’t want it and cannot wait to give it back.

Hopefully, that will be Wednesday. Let’s just say that Thanksgiving is going to be awesome. Everyone is looking forward to that here.

At this point in the post, I was going to change the subject to New Zealand but then a wonderful illustration of “overstaffing” just meandered by.

A new person from one of the agencies just arrived and she said something about, with some change, she was unsure of her role. The guy she was talking to said, “you just need to stand around.”

That’s your tax dollar at work, folks!

New Zealand’s tax dollar (how’s that for a segue?) is really at work for tourists. The place is fantastic. The beaches are fantastic. The ferns are fantastic.

Ferns are the national plant (or something) of New Zealand, with good reason. They’re everywhere. The silver fern is used in the logo of the All Blacks rugby team (I think it IS the logo). And on all the hikes you do, ferns are everywhere.

They’re not like ferns that I’ve seen before, either. They can be HUGE – like, the leaves are the size of my leg, which ain’t tiny. They also grow into what look like trees. I waffled and wondered if they were palm trees because they were so big. Are ferns and palms related?

The beaches are just wonderful, not that you swim in them. It’s too cold, for one, but mostly the surf is too rough. I’m not even sure that anyone other than Bodhi would tackle them.

The juxtaposition of the beach to the green (or white, as in the case of the glaciers) never ceased to amaze me. I think people got tired of me saying, “It’s just so beautiful.”

It was.

No comments: