Sunday, November 29, 2015

Happy camper

Still on a New Zealand high. I went to my fourth Thanksgiving meal in four days last night and was extolling the virtues of the trip to anyone who would listen.

I did get a belated scare while watching the news on the hotel TV last week. A blurb on a New Zealand helicopter crash caught my eye. After doing some researching, I found out it was a group of tourists headed up to fox Glacier, the same place I’d been two weeks before. The outfit was a different one than I’d used, but I remember seeing their helicopters. It was very jolting to me; all seven people aboard died. So sad.

And yet another reason to be thankful, for sure. There but by the amazing grace of God go I.

And go I do. Next week is the 10k. It’s in Siem Reap, a direct flight from here, at Angkor Wat. I’m not taking any time off or doing much touristy because I’ve been there. My flight leaves Saturday morning and arrives around 11 and the race is at 6:30 Sunday morning. The flight out is at 6:30, so there’s an afternoon.

About 20 of us are going, several on the same flight. I’m rooming with someone who’s doing the half marathon, but I’m only in for 10k.
 
This weekend is the last chance to really practice and yesterday I did 14k and today I did 13k. I would have made it to 14 but I had to cut it short to get to the Gator game on my Slingbox. I’m exhausted and sore. I have no idea what I was thinking when I registered for this thing.

Usually on weekends after the gym I come back, shower and take a nap but yesterday I got back and Skyped and today I turned on the game. While watching it, I’ve gone ahead and done laundry and cooked for not just one but two weeks since I’ll be out of town next weekend. I’m looking forward to a nap.

After next weekend, I’m in town til Christmas for sure; I have a birthday party and then a Christmas party. I’m considering Hong Kong over Christmas weekend just to see Mockingjay and Star Wars, but we’ll see. Right now I’m not into it.

But New Zealand … amazing. I’m posting a few more photos.

I went with a tour group, Flying Kiwis, which I’d totally recommend. I never intended to do a camping trip, but I had specific dates I could work with and wanted to stay X number of nights or so. Once I found out I had to be back at work on 11/12, that narrowed my options. It was camping or nothing.

And for me, New Zealand was one of those places I needed a set itinerary. There are just way too many options to choose from. Like Greece and its “mainland or islands?”question,  you have to decide which island you want to do first, at least unless you’re staying for weeks and weeks.

The north island is more cultural (and Hobbiton) and the south is more adventure-oriented. It’s where bungee began. I have no interest in that, but the hikes and stuff were more interesting to me. Someone told me Queenstown was where you needed to go, so I put that in my tour requirements.

I wound up with the “Wild West” tour from Flying Kiwis, and it was perfect. I met the group in Queenstown and we worked our way up through to Nelson, Picton and then over to Wellington. Basically, it’s sort of the equivalent of U.S. 1 in Florida – up the coast, except there are mountains on the other side.

We camped, which, really, was a first for me. Yes, I camped twice at Disney, but that’s hard to count. This time, it was legit – in some places, we didn’t even have showers, although we always had flushing toilets. (Which, as mentioned before, ALWAYS had TP.)

All the tents – mine was named Evil Knieval (yes, that was the spelling they used), our tables, stools and cooking equipment got pulled in a trailer behind our bus up the highways and byways. The bus was pretty good, too, with a sound system that was decent although I got tired of the kiddie music. (By that I mean 20something, not Sesame Street.)

When I signed up, the brochure indicated I would be sharing a tent but it ended out not being the case, so between that and the fact I spent WAY more money than I intended, I did not bother upgrading to a bunk when I could.

Honestly, the tent wasn’t bad. I’m not up to the point where I’m ready to strike out on my own, “Wild”-like, but I got pretty darn good at putting it up and taking it down.

The first night was brutal, though, because it was super windy and started to rain. Someone showed me how to do it, which was good, and I took two sleeping bags because it was going to be really cold that night. I was glad because I really was cold, and I could hear the wind just whipping. It took me back to the RV at Hope Village, just wondering if the wind would flip me over. In this case, it didn’t, although some of the tent pegs got bent during the night. But it didn’t cave in like one person’s did, so that was a win.

I got smarter as the trip went on, picking locations that were closer to the bathrooms or next to a distinguishing feature, like a bush, so I could find it easily in the dark. We had about 15 tents and they were all exactly alike, so at dusk or whatever you didn’t want to crawl into the wrong one and freak someone out.

Our days started fairly early, with breakfast around 7 or 7:30. We’d, pack out and hit the road, stopping in an hour or two for our first break or hike of the day. Sometimes, we’d spend a few hours in a city or something, where our guides loaded up at the grocery store for the night’s meal.

That’s what this one town, Hokitika, was – just a stop on the road. I bought a pair of gloves there, and then a meat pie, which I took with me down to the beach to eat. The chair, made of concrete, was just sitting there, a la Kenny Chesney. It was fantastic.

No comments: