Sunday, February 8, 2015

Going down again


I’m in Manila this week for a class, and I came a week early so that I could dive again.This is only my third time and I’m not sure I am improving, but it’s really beautiful. I love doing it.

Just what I need – an expensive hobby!

I tried to save a little time and not go to the place I went to before. Although I loved it and the people were amazingly nice (and gracious, considering the financial fiasco), I decided to save the one-hour high-speed boat ride across the bay, or whatever body of water it was.

Well, as it turned out, I wound up taking the same bus to the same city, and then instead of getting on a boat for an hour, I got in this jeep thing, packed Moroccan-like with people, for an hour, and then waited on my ride to pick me up and ferry me over. So probably I could have gone to the same place, but no worries. The place I went to, Dive and Trek, was also amazing.

I only did two dives, both off shore. It’s phenomenal to go down and see what’s there, because when you look out at the bay (or whatever it is), there is absolutely no hint of what’s below.

We went down maybe 27 meters and into this place called Bat’s Cave. Not a clue who comes up with those names, but I thought maybe it was called that because there were a lot of black fish.

But also there was a statue of the Virgin Mary! I was shocked to see it. The Philippines is quite a Catholic country – the Pope was here not that long ago, and the taxis are still riding around with McDonalds ads that say “Welcome Pope Francis” in Tagalog.

A little up from the cave, there was a cross, similar to what you might find on a headstone, except for the underwater critters growing all over it.

We also saw a stingray, clownfish, giant clams, Nemos of several sizes and a grouper, among other things. The grouper just sat there and I asked what it was. (The divemaster had this little Etch-a-Sketch type thing he would write on underwater.) I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a live grouper. It had very buggy eyes.

Oh! And a seahorse! My gosh, it was tiny. The divemaster found this coral thing that was kind of spider-webby and white and red. He took out a magnifying glass and started inspecting it. It took forever (and I was trying to practice my stay-in-on-spot technique) and then he motioned me over. I had no idea what I was looking for, honestly, and he kept pointing and flashing his flashlight and I finally saw it. It couldn’t have been half an inch tall.
The photos are what I saw, but they’re not mine. I am once again reminded that my next big purchase should really be a dive camera, or at least a camera that’s fit for diving. But it seems silly to buy a camera when I don’t even own my own mask!

Enter the renewed “expensive hobby” lament.

My next diving trip is going to be Australia. I have planned my R&R – the dates, anyway – and am looking at places in Melbourne and Sydney.

The divemaster today recommended cage diving. I am not sure I am ready for that.

Of course, I'm not exactly ready for the Excel class -- the reason I'm in Manila this week -- but it's coming, too.

No comments: