Saturday, November 15, 2014

My weekend went to pot …


…and that’s a good thing. That’s what the place is known for.


Took a daylong road trip today to Foshan, which, while technically is accessible via the extensive metro system we have here, but was far easier get to by signing up for the trip offered by my office. I didn’t have to navigate or do squat except get to the “bus leaves from” place by 9 a.m.

The office tries to do these kinds of trips every month or so, but I've only been to about three. I happened to be in town this weekend, and someone told me Foshan was a cool place to go, so I figured why not.

Somehow I misjudged the time. I got up at more or less the regular time and went to the gym to do the elliptical part of my workout, then ran home, ingested pancakes and darted out because I was thinking I had half an hour to get there. 
 
Just as I was hitting the lobby, I glanced at my watch and realized I’d timed it to get there at 8:30 and not 9. Crikey. So I turned around and ran back up for 20 minutes or so. I have no idea how I mucked that up.

This reminded me of Rally
Anyway, Foshan is known for two things: ceramics and toilets. The ceramics were everywhere, like in this big temple we visited, but the toilets – oh, that was something to see.

Foshan is known for its porcelain, of which toilets are made. And 10,000 of them were recycled in 2009 to make this huge waterfall public art display. It’s 100 meters long and five meters high, made up of old toilets, sinks and the occasional urinal. 

And for some reason, out in front, there is a statue of a cricket, grasshopper or something in a dinner jacket and playing an oboe. I certainly didn’t understand that part, but the toilet waterfall display was just worth the price of the trip.

It’s one of those things that you can honestly say you’ve never seen anything like. A wall of potties. Who would have ever thought?

No comments: