Saturday, July 5, 2014

A-OK in KK

I'm celebrating the Fourth in Borneo, which is what every American aspires to, no?

Really, it's a three-day weekend and the only chance for a multi-day get away during the summer. Leave is dissuaded and I have my vacation time alloted for anyway, so after our Independence Day party I jumped on a flight to Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia.

I'll post more later; somehow, the Internet here is even slower than at home. But essentially I'm fine and just have finished up two fill days of diving. I went for three dives yesterday (two AM, one PM) and three more today.

I thought I'd be back to the hotel before 5 and have time to make a plan for tomorrow -- my flight leaves at 8 PM, but we ran a bit late and the tourist place is closed. So, other than wander around the overgrown beach town, I have no idea what I will do.

It won't involve photos, though. Once again, my batteries have failed me. I swear, this is a new camera but maybe it's the batteries I need to replace.

Anyway, I can't take photos under water anyway, and that was the big thing. I saw two sea turtles! So absolutely amazing.

The visibility isn't as good as was in Putero Galara, and things are more shades of brown than in color, but it's still gorgeous. It's like an underwater desert -- lots of brown cactus-looking things, but they are coral and all kinds of stuff lives in them.

I really could get used to this whole diving thing. It's just amazing.
But another highlight has been the taxi. I will have to write about it later. It was just such a bizarre ride. And by that I mean the taxi itseld.

But that's all for now. I am done with diving and am now ready to explore the city.

And eat.

No comments: