Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Breakfast Club remake


Thankfully, as far as I know, there is no planned reboot of one of my favorite 80s movies. But I relived it on Friday, or so it seemed like at the time.

I’m finally done with classes over here, but thing was, we ran out of classes before we ran out of time. We had to fill up the spare days, so I had some random “post research” class show up on my schedule.

Since I’ve already done a ton of research – even doing a presentation on it – it seemed a little weird, so a couple of weeks ago I asked the lady in what’s essentially a research library about it.

The library is really cool and has extensive information on each post. It’s really a great place to go, and I knew that because I’d been there multiple times.

So, when I asked what, exactly, I was supposed to do for this 8-hour day, she offered some suggestions, all of which I’d done.

She then suggested practicing my language, but I didn’t get language classes so there’s no language to review. Another suggestion was to do my distance learning classes, but I did them – and far, far more – on, well, the days we had assigned to do distance learning.

This is a little gripe of mine. I’m in the extreme minority as far as being one of those people who does the assignments on time and all, and it sometimes gets aggravating that everyone else is given a “catch up” day to do all the stuff we’d had assigned all along. If I were given the day off, that’d be one thing, but essentially, I wound up having eight hours of detention because I did what I was supposed to do when I was supposed to do it.

Seriously, there was very little I could do. Fortunately, the librarians understood my dilemma, since I’d gone in previously and asked. It wasn’t like I had to write “I will not do assignments on time” 500 times or anything like that, but I was completely grasping at straws as far as what I could possibly do to fill the time.

And I had to the drill was, the four of us assigned to this “class” had to sign in at 9 a.m., sign in after lunch and then sign out at 4 p.m. No leaving early, even though it was Friday. It really was like the Breakfast Club, only without Emilio Estevez.

I always get there early, and Friday was no different. In fact, I’d scheduled an Excel test at 8 a.m. and had one errand to do before the class. So, by the time I checked in with the librarian, I had pretty much accomplished far more than anyone else had, at least in that wing of the building.

Two of my other classmates kept busy doing their distance learning, and I mostly checked my email. I also got started early on my “check-out” procedure, which means that I’m going to be struggling to fill up my “consultation” days this week, as that’s what those are for.

But I didn’t care because I was so bored. I mean, I could have re-read the same information again but I just didn’t care to. I am as prepared as I’m going to be, and since I don’t have a car or a pet I’m taking and have no husband and no kids, there just wasn’t a single bit of research left for me to do.

I think I spent a good portion of the afternoon looking at strongboxes and playing Set Game and Sudoku online.

I felt bad for the librarian, who tried to offer suggestions as far as what to do, but I’d done everything. She asked if there was something else they could offer for the “class,” but honestly, I couldn’t think of a thing. It’s not that the library isn’t useful; it’s that I’ve already used it.

Assigning “post research” as a class was just redundant, although I completely understand that there simply was no class offered that I could have taken. God knows I checked.

Now, I am down to the last week before deployment. Packout is tomorrow and boy, I’ll glad when that’s done. I hope it’s in the morning, but the guy didn’t give me a time.

If it is in the morning, I hope to knock out a run to the main building tomorrow afternoon. I’m here through Thanksgiving, but I’m not convinced the people I need to touch base with are.

No comments: