Monday, September 23, 2013

Two down, one to go


Two weeks down of my three-week orientation. Yay. After next week, I will not only know where I am going but also know about when I should arrive.

It looks like I will be deploying around mid-November, but that’s speculative. We have nine posts on our bid list (one for everyone) and one requires language. It is possible that the person who is posted there might get Spanish lessons for as long as it takes the person’s visa to come through.

The same posting, which is in South America, was open before but the person assigned there, after seven months, was turned down for the visa. So that person is going elsewhere and the position is up for grabs again.

The way it sounds, the only way anyone is staying is if they get that post. The other eight posts are listed as “NOW” for availability. I think we can put in for training but not hold our breaths that it will be available.

So far, I am trying to pick up tricks of the job, and training is one of them. Apparently you need to lobby for it every chance you get. And this means tacking it on the end of R&R trips or home leave.

The former is a plane ticket you get to a particular city if you’re posted in a “hardship” post. You get a ticket to that city halfway through your two-year tour, or you can opt for your home of record or someplace that’s the same cost (or less) of one of those.

The latter is extra accrued time, 15 days a year, that you take either once a year (two-year posts) or after 18 months or so (three-year posts).

The trick is, you’re supposed to lobby for training in DC to tack on the end of those. Now, I do not understand how you’re supposed to do it during R&R if your R&R point is, say, London.

But I will figure that kind of stuff out later.

All but one of the available posts have R&R, which is given for hardship posts. You get the plane ticket but you have to use your own leave time, which makes sense.

I’m not at liberty to divulge the bid list, but the R&R points are fabulous: London, Paris, Rome, Sydney and Miami. If I got the one with Miami, I’d definitely go to Tallahassee instead. Plus, that particular post has two R&R breaks, so it’d be two tickets home in two years. Not bad.

On the bid list, I can be vague: There is one European city, one in South America, one in Africa and one in China (I’m told there’s always one in Africa and one in China), two in the same SE Asian city and two more in what I consider Central Asia, plus a “Stan.”

The European city is the other that doesn’t have the R&R. A second post has two R&Rs but I forget which one it is. It’s a Sydney one, though.

“Flag Day” is Tuesday. The do a whole little dog-and-pony show where they call out the country and hand someone a flag, or something like that. I’m not into dog-and-pony shows, so I’ll just grin and bear it.

People keep asking what I am hoping for, but I just don’t care. I’m amused by some of the people because they keep telling people where they want to “go.” It’s not “going” like on vacation. This is a job.

There are also a lot of younger people here and they’re all stoked to be “going” to X or Y but they *really* want to “go to” Z. It’s kind of like, wow, you’re 27. You will retire in 38 years. If you do not get assigned to Z right now, it’s not the end of the world. There will be LOTS of time to bid on X, Y and Z – as well as A through W.

As for me, I really can’t get excited about it. I mean, I do want to get on with the job (and the paycheck), but I’m not going to sit and sob if I wind up in Central Asian city instead of European City or whatever it is.

Right now, if I had to guess, I’d say I’m destined for SE Asian City. The career lady swears she’s never given anyone one of their “low” bids, and for me, that was one of the Central Asian Cities and European City, based on the fact that those embassies are monolithic and I really prefer smaller workplaces.

In talking to some of the other candidates, I’ve found that people have bid high on most of the cities but so far I talked to anyone who has SE Asian City “high,” and there are two posts available.

Since I have stressed that I don’t care – and this is true – I figure I have a good shot at winding up there. It would be fine and perhaps even an easier transition, because I would have an immediate support group. Yeah, it would be the blind leading the blind and we’d be in different sections at the embassy, but still, I would know someone right off.

Of course, now that I put that prediction out there it won’t happen, but that’s OK.

My only wish is that they really don’t give us a flag. I am trying to hard to continue with the downsizing I just don’t want to add anything.

No comments: