Sunday, September 15, 2013

The “Fall” in “Falls Church”


This week, the first I’ve ever worn suits on a consistent basis, was incredibly humid. And I say this as a Florida native, so I know what I’m talking about.

Right now, I am in training, so we’re hearing from a lot of higher-up people for whom you have to look sharp, which mandates suits. I’m trying to get used to them but boy, with the humidity, it’s just toasty. Sitting in a seminar, I have several times realized suddenly that my neck is sweating. I do not look forward at my first foray into dry cleaner bills, but that is right around the corner. (Actually, it’s straight out the door, on the other side of the tennis courts. This apartment complex has everything.)

But it seems the hot and humid weather might be done now. I woke up this morning, the day of FSU’s first home game, and it’s suddenly fall. The air is crisp and it’s wonderfully gorgeous.

That’s really great news and made a pleasant walk through my area of Falls Church down to Target early this afternoon, especially since I tried a new route and got lost. I mean, I sort of knew the right direction, but I was wandering through a nice little neighborhood and wasn’t really clear on which roads went all the way through.

The news isn’t so good for my footwear, because I brought exactly five pairs of shoes: three of dress shoes and two pairs of Chacos, one of those flip flops.

Next week, my class group will get split and we will each take have a “teamwork” day that requires close-toed shoes that are OK to get messy, as in not dress shoes.

This is irritating, because it’s not like I do not own tennis shoes; I just don’t have them with me. They are packed in my air shipment, which could have arrived last week (thought they didn’t), could arrive tomorrow and maybe arrive Sunday – but may not arrive until after my six-week training session is over.

Therefore tomorrow I will have to go out and buy a new pair of tennis shoes.

This brings up a kind of an us-vs.-them mentality as far as what are considered “local hires” and the rest of us. These are people who live with 50 miles of the Washington Monument. Those of us who are from farther away are given a housing/meals per diem, the local hires are not. They get some kind of transportation allowance instead, but no cold, hard cash. (For the record, I haven’t gotten the cash yet, but it will come in a paycheck that will not arrive until 10/3 or 10/17).

The per diem is supposed to offset the fact that the non-local hires (maybe there’s a technical term, but I don’t know it) do not get to sleep in their own beds. It annoys the local hires, because they sometimes have multiple-hour commutes to training.

However, my heart doesn’t exactly bleed for them, because as a non-local hire, I have to shell out a lot of money for things that I already own but do not have with me.

It’s getting to be a little ridiculous. I have an air shipment on its way to me, and in addition to shoes it also has petty things like salt and pepper. And while I understand salt and pepper are cheap, there’s also a waste issue. What am I going to do with multiple salt and pepper containers when I leave in six weeks? Do I pack it or just toss it?

I have things like laundry baskets, key chains, scissors, pitchers, umbrellas, rain jackets and coats but they have not arrived yet. So do I just replace them and add to the landfill problem in two months, or what? Because, let’s get realistic, there’s not a big demand for used plastic ice trays, something I could really, really use right now.

This morning, I needed an envelope. Not 500 or even 50 of them, but just one. You can’t buy just one envelope, just like you can’t easily find a small thing of laundry soap, dish soap, shampoo or anything else these days. I have about a gallon of shampoo on its way up here, but it’s not here yet, so I was forced to go out and buy yet another container.

It’s a first-world problem, for sure, but I just hate to waste things so it really kills me to have to do this.

Beyond annoyance and landfill issues, it’s also a cost thing. I just hate to shell out money for something I don’t really need, and right now, since my first check won’t be until October, it’s still a little dicey. I’ve already been to Target three times. It doesn’t matter that the prices of the stuff I need aren’t really expensive (at least the way I shop), but when you have to re-establish yourself with so many things, those little numbers are going to add up.

No comments: