Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bayou Spicing up my service


On Wednesday, I am headed to South Carolina. I am so ready for it.

Perhaps I’ve mentioned this, but I’m just so ready for a break. Really, other than the weekend in Denver in August, I haven’t had a break.

It’s not that I’m stressed out or anything, but I’m due as well as deserving.

And the food is good. So very good.

A break will be nice, though. Some of the stuff here is just insane.

First off, AmeriCorps week is coming up. What, you say? Yeah, right. My thought exactly.

Although they’re both service under the federal government AC differs from PC in many ways. In PC you give your live for two years and you’re on the clock, really, all the time.

For most, AC is 40 hours a week. I guess, anyway. Considering what crap the local office gave me when I reported my well-over-40 hours the first month I was here, you’d think I’d turn to stone after working 40 hours and a serious earful.

Having been in PC, I told them it was OK with me, and it is. I like what I do and, let’s face it, there’s not too much else to do here.

So maybe the 40-hour thing enters into AC’s reasoning, but three times a year, they *require* volunteers to do a service project. In addition, you know, to the 12 months we’re already doing.

I find it really, really stupid. I mean, come on, I worked all summer at 9.5 hours a day, seven days a week and still average over 40.

So why wouldn’t I welcome another freaking project, in my spare time, right? Good grief.

So for the 9/11 and MLK days, I pretty much just put a title on something I was doing anyway. And since I’m all about service, it was a service project.

But this AC week is different. They expect us to go in and recruit for them.

Uh, no. My experience with the local office has been less-than stellar, honestly, and I would not recommend this to many people.

It’s not like I wouldn’t recommend it to some people, but like Peace Corps, I would not just go out and say, “Hey, do this!” I’d have to know the person first. It’s not for everyone.

I’m happy to answer questions, and do so often in a couple of online forums. But one of the suggestions given to me was to go to a high school and recruit. That is just not going to happen. Beyond having no time for it, I have very little interest in it.

But I am psyched for North Augusta, that is for sure. I’m not remotely ready for it, although I did start packing. There’s not a whole lot I can do since I still need to wash a load of clothes.

There’s a new guy working with one of the partners and I’ve given him a key to housesit. He’s currently living on campus with no running water. Apparently guys are more OK with this than women are, because he said he probably wouldn’t sleep over here but just cook, shower and wash clothes.

And water the five plants, which I’m a little worried about. Plants aren’t supposed to shed, I don’t think. But I have a little problem with two of them. Let’s just say I’m glad I have a vacuum.

The idea of leaving for over a week is really freaky, honestly. I don’t remember taking a vacation for this long. I mean, even Alaska, India and Russia were only 10 days or so. And those were rarities.

The trip after PC was a month, but that wasn’t time off work. (Oh, that was fun: nothing so sad as listing your job as “unemployed volunteer”) And Morocco, the second time, was a month but that was work.

This trip, though, isn’t 100 percent vacation. Beyond the entire point of helping Karen with the Bayou Spice catering, I’m bringing work with me. I will be working at least a couple hours a day.

It’s kind of odd because most of my work is done online, even the local stuff. We don’t have one central location and I even send emails and make phone calls to the trailer across the parking lot or the one on the other side of the building. So really, there’s just not a lot of difference between me being in my “Vicar” office or on, for example, a Greek island.

So I figure the land of Chick-Fil-A is a happy compromise.

No comments: