Monday, September 17, 2012

Uff da!

So, Hostfest is coming up and everyone here has their thoughts turning to All Things Scandinavian.


Hostfest is, of course, the largest Scandinavian thing going in North America, and obviously you know that all kinds of blond people descend on Minot during the four-day  (or maybe it’s five, I’m sure you already knew this) festival.

It’s huge. It’s at the fairgrounds, of  course, but you knew that. This year, Dierks Bentley and Vince Gill are among the artists playing, but it’s that (for some reason) Irish O’Donnell person that all the older folks go to.

Of  course, everyone knows this. I’m only learning, but after 13 weeks here I’ve picked up on it. I’ve probably been asked “Are you going to Hostfest?” as many times here as I was asked, “Wech kliti ksks?” (“Have you eaten couscous?”) in Morocco.

And yes, I am going. I signed up to work the salad booth for Our Savior Lutheran Church. I’m not entirely sure what it entails, but I’ll figure it out. I’m on for Sept. 28, Mackenzie’s birthday.

And I’ve started warming up on the whole Scandinavian thing. On Friday, I got enlisted to make lefse (LUF-sa). This is, essentially, a tortilla made out of potato. But it’s just the tortilla; there’s nothing in it to eat. I guess people spread butter or something on them – I wasn’t privy to that part.

The process was as involved as making the deep-fried red beans and rice balls, only there was no ham surprise.

First, you peel potatoes. Lots of them, as this particular batch of lefse (not sure if that’s plural or not) was intended to be sold Sunday at church for a fund-raiser for the day care.

After the taters are nekkid, they get boiled and then riced.

Yes, apparently that’s a verb. I honestly had no idea what it was, but basically there is such a tool as a ricer that looks like a giant garlic press. You load it up with potatoes and squeeze them and they get shredded into potatoes the size and shape of rice noodles.

Me, I’m a grain rice person and completely forgot that rice came in more shapes, so when they said “ricer,” I had no idea of what to expect. But I discovered the verb form, and it was a lot of fun to squish the potatoes into rice.

The next step after the ricing is to mix them into dough. This involves evaporated milk, but I was involved in that step so I’m not sure what the magical ingredients were.

After that, they’re rolled into little balls, a little larger than golf balls and refrigerated for a bit.

Then, you get to roll them out and slap them on a little skillety thing. Transporting them from the pastry table to the skillety thing is done with this sword-like wooden stick, manufactured especially for the task.

We had maybe 5-6 women doing this in the church, and it was great fun. We had music playing the entire time and, since there was a lot of flour involved, it got quite messy. We had a ball, leaving handprints on each other, doing the Monkee-walk across the kitchen flood, listening to everything from “Jeremiah was a Bullfrog” and the aforementioned Monkees to “Penny Lane” and “Escape” to the finale (which Susann thoughtfully dedicated to us) “Friends in Low Places.”

Fairly un-Scandinavian-like, I’d say, but fun nonetheless.

In other news, I had one of the most convenient flat tires ever this week.
The guilty screw.

It was one of those rare weeks for me when I left campus three times. I visited two construction sites and also went to the regular meeting. Usually I only leave one or two days a week.

Aside: I looked at my car book today and in the 13 weeks I have been here, I have driven 1,027 miles and filled up my tank just four times. And that includes a trip to Bismarck.

So, what I’m saying is I don’t drive much. I’m glad of that, because gas is $3.85 a gallon here in oil country.

But my car doesn’t have much of a chance to get out, so I was kind of surprised when I walked by it one evening and thought the front driver tire was a little low. I wasn’t going anywhere so I didn’t dwell on it and then it slipped my mind entirely.

The next morning, I saw it again and thought, “Oh, note to self – check tire” on the way to breakfast. And after breakfast, I walked by again and it looked even lower, so I got on it.

Found my tire gauge and as I went to check it, saw a little screw sticking out. Oh, joy.

Fortunately, this being a Flood Rebuild Central, we have tools, including air compressors. My plan was to fill the tire enough to drive down the street to the gas station and have it plugged.

That morning, though, lots of people were checking out tools, so I just went over to check to see if it would be possible to execute my plan once the area was clear.

I explained the issue to Mike, and he said if I wanted, he’d plug it for me later that day. I said sure, and offered to run up to Walmart and get a plug kit. He said he liked one particular brand, then remembered he had one in his truck right the.

So, essentially, instead of waiting for the afternoon, he just had me pull up right then and he plugged it. He didn’t even pop the tire off to do it.

So that was lucky. And honestly, it was about the worst thing to happen all week, so that means it’s pretty good.

Uff da!

No comments: