Sunday, September 23, 2012

More on HostFest

First, it is not possible for me to have fingernails during football season. FSU is down 13-7 early against Clemson (we’re on a review for the TD; no PAT attempt yet) and I’ve bitten off everything I have.


14-7 now. The only consolation is those are the two first touchdowns the Noles have allowed in three-plus games, but it’s scary since it’s the first true test of the season.

I really wish I could get to a game this year, but it’s not going to happen. Flights from Minot to FSU land are about a grand. That’s not possible.

This week, I had my first unexpected bill. The flat tire came back. I don’t usually drive much but ran to the doctor on Monday and Tuesday, I think it was, I noticed it was low again.

So, rather than tell Mike the repair didn’t take, I filled it up enough to get to Walmart, which, sadly enough, is where I spend about four nights a week.

It’s within walking distance and after dinner, I tend to walk up there and back. Sometimes I buy something (Junior Mints or tea) but more often than not, I just wander around, use the bathroom (it’s got running water and underground pipes and everything!), drink out of the novelty that’s a water fountain and then walk back.

I dropped it off so they could fix the flat, but as it turned out, the hole was too close to the wall and I had to get a new one.

It’s a real bummer because the tires are still fairly new. I mean, I bought the car in early 2010, but it was pretty much out of commission for the year I was in Indonesia. I’ve put fewer than 30k miles on the car since I’ve had it.

But you do what you have to do, and paying off a hefty AmEx bill will be what I have to do this time next month. I’d already splurged a little last week – I bought three shirts on sale at LL Bean (I have NO decent clothes post-Peace Corps and it’s getting bad), plus “Grand Torino” and “The Full Monty.”  My cell phone bill also came due, etc., etc.

But I have a new tire now, bishaa. Fortunately the associate with the purple dredlocks didn’t bother suggesting I buy two of them. Normally you get flack when you only get one tire at a time.

This will stave off my hubcap-buying. I currently have three but haven’t seen a match to complete my set. I don’t want to pitch the three good ones and just buy four more, though.

So, the previously-mentioned HostFest is next week and suddenly I’m going to be there a lot more than I thought.

A well-meaning supporter called on Thursday and let us know that, without asking, she managed to secure Hope Village with a booth.

In the end, this is a good thing, I think, because it’s free and we can get publicity. But OTOH, in order to get that, I have to sit and create a PowerPoint, a display board and then handouts and also somehow staff the thing for five days.

The official hours are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. When I asked the well-meaning lady what peak hours were, she said 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Joy.

So we’re looking at that. I guess the worst-case scenario is that I wind up doing the whole thing myself. Since I’m mentally preparing myself for that, I don’t think it will be so bad.

Repeating: Uff da!

No comments: