Sunday, July 8, 2012

24/7 Cookies: Not a good thing


Good thing that happened this week: I learned my DirectTV, while pretty much worthless for TV shows, has Sirius radio. Channel 6058 is Prime Country from the 80s-90. Except for the fact right now it’s playing “Achy Breaky Heart,” it’s been a lifesaver. I no longer have to stream Radio Margaritaville, either. I get that one, too, pus Willie’s Roadhouse and the new country one. Yay!

Bad thing that happened this week: I, quite foolishly, stepped on a scale last night at my supervisor’s house. That was wrong. The three-hour workouts and half-hour commutes have been replaced with 24/7 homemade cookies and living, working and socializing in the same land plot. Not good.

I’m staging an open house this next week and am getting a little freaked out about it. PR-wise, the timing is bad because I’m not the “official” spokesperson yet and don’t send out things without running them through at least one other person. Unfortunately the gatekeeper to the more-or-less internal group is on vacation and I don’t have access to her list.

But I’m working on it. I got a call to meet someone and wound up doing a TV spot, which is not what I had in mind when I rolled out of bed and threw on the USS Remey reunion ’99 T-shirt thee minutes prior to meeting the guy.

I landed a great silent auction item: tickets for two to the Zac Brown Band’s Eat and Greet prior to their performance at the fair.

Really, it's an awesome pull. I got amazing cooperation on their end and who would have known way back whenever whoever scheduled them to play the fair that they’d pretty much be *the* hottest act in country music when they arrived?

They came on the picture when I was in Morocco, so I really am not all that familiar with them, or at least didn’t think I was. Now I’m learning that some of the stuff I’ve been hearing since I got back (both times) and have liked have been their songs. Like the one with Alan Jackson. (I haven’t heard the one with Jimmy Buffett, but it’s got to be good, right?)

Now I am reading more about the band’s Eat and Greets before the show and my God, they sound fabulous. Chef Rusty, who’s a Cajun guy (Karen, are you with me here?), travels with them and shops locally the morning of the show, then puts on this big picnic prior to the show.

Now *I* want to win the auction. Technically I could bid (I wrote the rules and didn’t think to exclude anyone) but that would look really bad, I think.

But man, I’d really like some decent Cajun food. Percy’s Poppers would be really nice about now.  

But then, I guess I do have that scale to think about.

No comments: