Sunday, June 10, 2012

Up and coming


Well, the next chapter for me is right around the corner, but I have at least eight hours of driving left before it begins.

I’ve made it safely to Nashville, where I’m holed up in the hotel room. As exhausted as I am from driving the first eight hours, I’m OK doing nothing but dining on Cheesecake Factory for dessert. (Key lime.)

Since FSU’s super regional was rained out, I’m watching Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals. I guess I’m pulling for LA, just because I’d like to see the Cup handed out. I love watching them celebrate.

Tomorrow, it’s an in-hotel breakfast and then off for Chicago, with a tentative plan to stop in Indianapolis for lunch or something.

As it turns out, I don’t have to be in Chicago until Monday afternoon, not Sunday night as I previously thought. Not a big deal; will essentially have one evening in Chicago. No great plans for that.

Training starts Monday evening, I guess, and my guess is it’s a lot like PC’s. Lots of getting-to-know you and icebreaker stuff. Joy.

Then I’m on to Minot, where I’ve learned I’ll be staying in an RV, which sounds a little smaller than the trailer I previously thought I had. That’s OK; I can deal with it. Honestly, at this point in my life I figure I could do 12 months in a Turkish prison, not that I want to test that theory.

I’ll be in the RV until October or so, when I move into an apartment. The RV might not be big (I’ve no clue), but I just learned it has DirecTV and Wifi, which is awesome. I might be the most-set AmeriCorps volunteer around. At least other than my roommate.

This past week was pedal-to-the-floor. Errands galore, including some stupid things like having to run back to Target because I left my cellphone there the day before. But I got a ton done and even had time to go to FSU’s super regional game one last night. Which was awesome.  The Noles won, 17-1, against the nation’s best pitcher. Overrated.

My packing job is pretty sketchy. I already realized I forgot toothpaste, but I’ll be doing a Target/Walmart run pretty quick off anyway. I thought about doing it all in Florida, but since ND has a much lower sales tax I couldn’t figure out a single reason to do so now.

I think I have enough clothes. Honestly, if I don’t, it doesn’t matter. I brought everything that fits and looks reasonably OK. I just don’t have much right now.

It’s the other stuff I had no idea of what to pack. What complicates it for me is that I had way more room than either PC or Indonesia’s trips. I am not a person who needs too many options. I could never, ever build a house from scratch. I need limitations.

Once the clothes were done – and man, Laurie would be proud of my packing job; it all fit in the trunk – I had the whole back seat to fill if I so chose.

So I started, pretty much randomly, throwing stuff in. I mean, I had a little plastic thing of “electronic,” but I wound up tossing things like business cards and coasters in there. I also stuck in a few favorite cups (like the one I snagged from the Globe office) and a very motley mix of DVDs, way more than I took to Indonesia. I might have even brought the little DVD player. It crossed my mind, but I’m not sure my body went through with it.

The weirdest thing, by far, I packed were the MREs we found in Gray’s house. I’ve absolutely no idea what I was thinking on that, but you have to be ready for everything, right?


No comments: