Sunday, June 5, 2011

An anarchist’s* dream

*I had to look up the spelling of “anarchist.” I’m not too proud to admit it.

There is officially nothing on TV. I am bummed. I’d gotten addicted to “Bones,” which came on one of the versions of Fox I have, and it’s pretty darn good. “Mad Men” has been on, too, and I’ve pretty much caught up with that one.


Early last month, they had the whole “Mad Men” marathon, which was basically MM, all the time.


Now it seems there’s another marathon going on: “Sons of Anarchy.”


I have never heard of this show and have no interest in it. As a result, there’s just nothing on. The movies this month are crap.


But I did get lucky and borrowed all three seasons of “Arrested Development,” which was utterly fabulous. I’ll wind up getting those on DVD, I just know it. They seemed to be the kind you watch over and over. Just so well done.


Ron Howard is a genius. Yeah, he’s had some flops, but overall, the man is gold.


Other than TV, all else seems to be going all right. I’m still battling work, but I feel I’m getting the hang of it.


As a compromise to the learning curve, I’ve kindly been put on the 2-10 shift, which means more features, more fixtures, more wire services and less in-house copy.


That’s the killer stuff for me: there’s a lot of fact-checking involved and even more re-writing stories that were translated into English by someone else. It leaves a lot of questions, and I’m trying really hard to grasp all that stuff.


But for the next month, I am on the slightly earlier shift, which I really do like. I feel much better walking home at 10:30 than I do at 11:30. I haven’t seen one rat while on this shift.


I did dodge water today. It had stopped raining, but I opted to walk in the street to avoid my power-friendly utility pole. There’s not as much traffic on a Sunday. I had a couple of slippery spots (not in the road), but nothing dangerous, hamdullah.


I’m actually getting spoiled, financially, on my commute right now. I fully expect to have to cab it, but so far – other than the electrocution thing – I’ve been lucky.


This week I am supposed to finish the visa process. I’m told I have to have it done by Thursday, so I probably should figure out what there is to do in Singapore.


All I know is it’s clean and expensive, with lots of high-end shopping. I’m not really in the market for anything, so I am considering just finding a movie. I don’t have that option here since Hollywood hasn’t caved into some Indonesian bribes.


But I don’t know. I’m not really looking forward to it, but perhaps it will be fun. Since it’s a company thing, I hope the transport to the airport is covered in some way. That’s the real part I’m dreading.

No comments: