Sunday, May 29, 2011

The shocking story

Some have heard this, but I’m going to repeat it because I now have photos.


Here's my final destination, the 11th floor.


Last week, I had a rough time at work. One day in particular was just brutal. (Actually, two, but just go with me on this, OK?)



The last left turn.


Here's a sample of the deep ruts in the sidewalk. We are talking inches deep, and when it rains, the water is pretty much ankle-deep, and there's no way around.

Actually, the day wasn’t too bad until there was about an hour or two to go, which is, coincidentally, about the time the rain started.

By the time I got off, which, if I remember correctly, was 10, it had rained cats and dogs and was still not exactly drizzling when I left the office.


The layout of the building is it's on a main road, but it's a divided road, and there just aren't simple U-turns in this country. For me to take a cab home, if I get one in front of the building, I will be pointed the other way and essentially at least double the distance I travel to go home.



More of the Indiana Jones obstacle course that is the sidewalk to work. This hole on the right is new from Friday.


This is where the lake is. This entire stretch was completely under water on my electrocution night. You can see a little fence on the right, which has a wall of bushes right next to it, eliminating any thought of stepping to the side and avoiding Lake South Jakarta.


Up until that point, the weather has been OK enough to just walk, both ways. It's about 35-40 minutes one way. It can be really, really sweaty, but it seems safe.


My commute entails about five minutes on a side road, then three 10-minute stretches, give or take, to the building.


On the way back, the first 10-minute walk is against traffic, and then I turn into a side road where it's both ways down a residential area.



On the bad night in question, I was upset and decided to walk a little to clear my head. I mean, had had an umbrella and am washable. I figured I'd walk that first 10 minutes, get a cab from there and then it'd on take about five minutes to get home.



This is the stretch right that doubles as a bus stop. There are also vendors here frequently (not on Sunday -- I deliberately took photos today knowing it wouldn't be as crowded) and therefore it's also a good rat-spotting area.




Going to work, this is right after the bus stop. Watch your step.


Water is a heck of an eroder. This hole is new, and on my little photo excursion, it wasn't the only hole that wasn't present on Friday. Heed a warning: walk slow and watch your step.




So, armed with the only folding umbrella I've found here -- it's pink -- I set off. The water onthe sidewalk was far deeper than I thought, usually because the sidewalks have caved in and have huge potholes and by the time I had one block to go before the two-way traffic, I was already soaked halfway to my knees.


And my pink umbrella broke. Not terribly, but the handle came off and basically I was holding a stick with a droopy pink covered skeleton over me.


But I trudged on, figuring I'd just get a cab after that last block before the turn into the residential section.


It's a bad one. There aren't actual sidewalks, just some cement hole things with covers. I don’t know what they are, really. There's also an open sewer to one side, or at least a cement ditch with running water and nasty stuff that smells not unlike a sewer.


And mud. Oh my, the mud. The water had to have been inches deep, and I was wet and wearing old tennis shoes.




Both ends of this obstacle course are new, too. I am not sure when/if they get repaired. It reminds me of Detroit in that way.
OK, we're now up to the scene of the crime. Picture this with inches of standing water. It's the last block before the residential section where I planned on catching a cab. There's so sidewalk, so it was a slippery mess.


I slipped. Not the first time that evening, but a scary one. When I went to brace myself, I had two options. On my right, the open sewer, and on my left, a utility pole.



Beyond the fact that I was holding an umbrella in my right hand, the sewer idea didn't seem too appealing, not that I actually pondered it. Basically I just stuck my hand out for balance.



ZZZTTT.



Just like sticking a finger in a light socket, I had a jolt run through me. It scared the bejesus out of me, especially since I was standing big-toe deep in water with no way to move without stepping in some deeper puddle and possibly still managing to slip and land in the sewer.



But, hamdullah, I was OK and pretty quickly got out of there.



Here's the utility pole that tried to kill me. I snapped it quickly since there were people around and didn't realize it was out of focus. But you know, that's not inappropriate for what was going through my mind -- and my body -- at the time.



Door No. 2, or where I would have fallen had I not opted to shock myself. Gross.



The residential section I walk through every day. I think people are getting used to seeing me.



More of the residential section. Also a rat sighting spot.




So far, that’s been the most exciting thing to happen on my commute. Even the rats have stopped roaming around this past week, although that might be more because I’ve mostly been getting off at 9 or 10 p.m. instead of 11:30 or after.


Tonight, though, was fabulous. All around, really. I had a great day at work and the commute was nice – not even too hot and sweaty.



Again, these photos were taken on Sunday (which it still might be where you are!) Normally, there are FAR more people on the streets. I just didn't want to bring a lot of attention to myself.


This is the only shot I took of the main road, which is the same main road as my prior commute, just more of it. There are several stretches like this, where the pavement is simply missing. You can see gaps up the way, too, and some of them are large enough to lose Mackenzie too but still small enough to jump over. There are many points where the individual sidewalk portions are sunken or broken, which makes it tough to maneuver in the dark. If Hollywood staged a chase scene, it would require a stuntman.

No comments: