Monday, April 11, 2011

Seoul Survivor

OK, maybe that's premature. It's only 8:10 a.m. and I don't leave Seoul until 3:45 p.m., but I've made it here. That's something.

Met some people on the ATL-ICN flight and we had breakfast in Seoul as soon as everything opened. Actually, they ate. I figure since I'm here for hours more I'll wait just a bit.

Had some really bumpiness in the flight but it landed OK, which is the important part. It was one heck of a long flight. Since I only got my ticket about 10 days ago, I had a middle seat and waited until someone on the side was awake to try to get out for a stretch/pee break. I could hardly stand up. My back hurt so bad it was insane. And my right shoulder still hurts, too, and I'd had issues trying to take off my long-sleeved shirt. I just can't lift it up.

I've officially caught up on my movies, though. Korean Air has those individual screens where you can choose your movies. I started with "The King's Speech," then, falling asleep, I put in "True Grit." I didn't see much of it because I was dead tired, which was OK. After that, I moved to "The Fighter" and I swear if there's a better looking actor than Christian Bale I haven't seen him. Both those Oscars were well-deserved.

After a "meh' "The Tourist," I put in "True Grit" a second time but got involved talking to my seatmate and didn't get too far. If I have movie options for my second flight -- 6-7 hours long -- I'll either do that or "The Black Swan," which was also on the list. I'm pretty much doing some Oscar-winning viewing today.

I had planned on meeting Amy in Seoul, but she's working so that fell through. Instead, I'm just going to wander the halls of this airport, possibly grab a bite to eat and play some Set before I head off again.

I ventured outside briefly, because I mailed Amy the candy I'd brought her. It wan an excursion since it involved going through immigration, which I'd already bypassed since I really was only a transfer passenger. Going through immigration late meant taking, per orders of the lady at the information booth, a 'staff-only' elevator down to just past immigration, which I felt was wrong and still do.

Boy, the looks on the people when I went down and popped out. Nothing bad -- had I been a dark-skinned person in the U.S. I'd probably still be in questioning.

Got a stamp in my passport for a total of 15 minutes at the passport. I figured I'd go get some fresh air and eat my breakfast muffin outside, so I did.

All I know about Seoul is the weather today is nice.

No comments: