Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kung POW!

Remember the Seinfeld episode when George ate the kung pao chicken? Holy cow, that’s me today.

I made it to DC for the RPCV career fair. I decided it’s a good thing when the weather folks freak out over storms, because that means there’s nothing to them. I was concerned about the 7:30 a.m. departure to Atlanta and then connecting to DCA, but it turns out everything went smoothly.

Zippy and I arrived in our nation’s capital around noon and got checked into my Hotwire find, the Capitol Inn Suites. It’s sweet, too. Microwave, fridge, dishes and a sofa bed. I might move in. And they even had a room ready around noon even though check-in wasn’t until 3 p.m.

Before hitting the botanical gardens and American Indian museum, we stopped at a greasy spoon called Pete’s Diner. They had kung pao on special, and I’d never had it. Since it involved chicken and rice, I didn’t see a downside.

Oh, my. I wasn’t really sure how hot the little pepper things were but WOW. It was fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but those suckers had far more pao than kung and over seven hours later, I am still feeling it.

Foolishly, I wolfed them down whole, which, in case you need to know, is very wrong. I am not sure how you’re supposed to do it, but I’d strongly advise against whole, especially if it will touch your teeth, gums, tongue or esophagus going down.

Even if you could manage getting it down without burning yourself, it will still rebel against your intestine and stomach. I ate about 6-7 of them and believe me, I am acutely aware of each.

No regrets, though, but if I did it again I’d go for water instead of tea to accompany. The sweet tea came loaded with lemon and it didn’t go well with the POW.

Obviously, I returned from Palm Springs, and I am really behind in posting. There’s not a lot to say about the LA area, though. It’s overpriced and has gorgeous weather all the time. No earthquake disrupted us, and gas was $3.50 a gallon.

We took the Palm Springs aerial tram and I took a bunch of pictures on the 10,000-foot ascent, but I can’t find the cord that attaches my camera to the computer, so I can’t post them right now.

We saw no celebrities, but went all the way to the Santa Monica Pier. For those keeping track, I’ve now driven practically across the United States. I lack from Tallahassee to Jacksonville (although I’ve been up to Augusta) and from St. George, Utah (near Las Vegas) to Palm Springs. Everything else I’ve done.

The job situation is extremely bleak. I’m not loving life at all right now and hope this little career seminar helps, but the reality is it might be worse. With the new hiring processes in place, the federal government has suddenly decided NCE status is useful and the agencies at this job fair want RPCVs who have it to apply for their openings. Sadly, mine ran out Nov. 20. They didn’t want it last year and now that it’s coveted, I no longer have it.

I am looking forward to seeing some friends here and meeting some new ones. It’s an effort to remain positive.

No comments: