Thursday, January 20, 2011

No such thing as a free lunch, but with dinner you get a bonus

The updates are few and far between, I realize. Sorry. I’ve yet to fall into an unemployment routine, though I’m not sure if that’s good, bad or irrelevant.

I do have a job interview Friday, near Orlando. I’m not really positive of what the job is, but when I did a “skills match” search, it popped up.

The weeks are a bit blurry because I have no concept of what day it is. I mean, when it’s all off time, it’s not like it makes much of a difference. I sort of have a vague idea of either the day or the date, but not usually both in the same 24-hour span.

At the moment, I’m in the greater Tallahassee area but I have no idea how long it will last. Through January, I’m fairly confident, I’ll be around but I’ve got some travel planned for February.

First, there’s a softball tournament in Palm Springs, Calif., and Zippy found a Left Coast-ish team that will have her. She also has a Delta companion ticket, so I get to be a hanger-on for Old Lady Ball Feb. 10-14. Happy Valentine’s Day!

I suppose that sounds sad, but hey, it’s a mostly-free trip to sunny (inchallah) California. I’ll take it. I’ve never been to Palm Springs. I hear it’s where Elvis and Priscilla honeymooned.s

Then there’s a career fair for RPCVs later in the month (not too much later since the month is so short). I’ve registered and bought my plane ticket up there, but am holding out on the ticket back because I’m trying to decide if I should crash any offices and beg them to hire me.

In between, I’d love to score some work for the Wings-Lightning game, but I’ll have to check on that and see if anyone I know needs help.

So I’m not really getting into a routine just yet. I’m not sure if I should, but I do want to look into the French class again. Especially since I still have custody of the textbook, which I neglected to return.

I like taking classes and learning new things. It’s a lot of fun. I’m a little bummed my Red Cross class got canceled last week and I can’t do this week’s because I have to go to Orlando for a job interview.

So, in poking around for things to do, Zippy ran across this women’s car care clinic, put on by Super Lube. It was free, so we signed up to go. I never saw the announcement, but Zippy is one of that declining breed that reads every column inch of the newspaper and she ran across it.

This afternoon, we scrambled to figure out exactly where it was and in doing so, discovered that we were getting free pizza for dinner! Since part of the day’s plan involved the task of trying to figure out where to go to eat, that helped out right there.

The little maintenance class was informative for most, although I pretty much could have taught it. For some reason, I thought they were going to demonstrate how to change the oil – which I already know – but once we got there I realized it would be silly for Super Lube to empower a bunch of people to take their business. Instead, we got a lesson on the fluids, air filter and tires.

We also got some tasty pizza with side dishes and soft drinks, which made the trip worthwhile in itself. But as if that wasn’t enough, we also got both a token for a car wash AND one for an oil change – over $35.

Man, that was just the best deal I’ve had in a long time. (Especially if you consider Lester’s semi-indecent proposal.) We got dinner, a free car wash and a free oil change in return for standing outside in the cold and getting a refresher course on how to top off fluids in the car.

Heck, I could have made do with just the reminder to check my tires before leaving for Orlando tomorrow.

No comments: