Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's terrifical: Camp ends this week!

Hamdullah, it's almost over: this is my last week of camp. I leave in T minus two hours and 30 minutes and will return home Friday inchallah around 4.

Who knows, though. We could decide to celebrate Friday or something. And I could still be asked or told to work day camp the following week. But for now, I only have six days left, and five with Pocahontas.

Today's her anniversary (28 years) and she's off, so I'll be working with HiHo. I'm looking forward to the break.

He's a really cool guy who runs a hoagie shop somewhere in downtown Tallahassee. He does camps on the side during summer. When told he had to have a camp name, he popped off with "HoHo" immediately. I thought he was a little quick to have come up with a name so quickly, but until last week, I had no idea why. Then I heard Pocahontas talking about him to someone on the phone and dropped his last name.

It's "Silver." I didn't even get the connection immediately, because Pocahontas uses real names and therefore hadn't spoken "HiHo" It wasn't until later at night -- I swear I can't stop thinking about the darn kitchen -- that I put it together.

Hi ho Silver, away!

And Friday, I, too, will be away. Man, I am so ready, as is everyone else. Friday I again heard multiple leaders telling me how bad Pocahontas is to me. I know she doesn't mean it, but it would help if she listened.

Her grave error this week was Friday lunch. Seems it slipped her mind we only feed day camp and leaders. After six weeks, you'd think management would have it, but she had Pawnee prepare pizza for 110. Which, I might add, is a heck of a lot of pizza.

One kid from her school is here and has spent, against the rules, a ton of time in the kitchen. He said something to her about going home for lunch Friday and, like last week, she flipped.

What do you mean, she asks him. He says yeah, lunch today. She completely flips out again and I'm like, um, this is camp. They go home. It's what happens on Friday -- remember last week?

And no, she didn't. She totally disregarded everything -- even me -- once again.

Oh well. One week left.

Yesterday, I kept Mackenzie and we went to see "Ramona and Beezus," which, as a longtime Beverly Cleary fan, I felt stuck really truly to the books. It pulled incidents from many of the books into one well-told story. I loved it.

Ramona's word -- not the bad word, the word she invented -- in the movie is "terrifical," and that's what I am hoping the last week of camp will be.

And even if it's not, then ... well, GUTS! -- at least it will be over.

No comments: