Friday, May 7, 2010

New directions. Maybe.

So change might be in the air, and change is good.

I've had two interviews this week, both for temporary jobs and both working with kids. I like this direction, so I am hoping something positive will come of it. Or of them, I should say. Both jobs would mesh together nicely on a decent timeline.

First, (lengthwise, but not time-wise) I spoke to PC about a PC Response job. These are "short-term, high-impact" positions that are only offered to RPCVs. I've wanted to do one since oh, about a year BEFORE swearing into PC. I've applied for numerous ones and incredibly felt qualified for two of them but it didn't work out.

This one, however, is essentially written for me. It's a sports volunteer position, essentially working to create an after-school(ish) program in a parish (county). There will be 12 people in these positions and an additional 12 who are teaching SIDA/VIH awareness, so it's a big group.

Anyway, I had an interview and felt it went well. I am made for the job, so it should have. I hope it's officially offered because it's the kind of gig that makes me drool.

It runs from about August to January or so, with either three- or six-month extensions potentially available. It's in Jamaica, which really doesn't sway me one way or the other except it doesn't eliminate me due to language. (There's a similar position in Panama, I think it is, but it calls for fluency in Spanish.)

So I'm hopeful on that, and it leaves me kind of up in the air for summer. My temp job ends about May 22 or so, and I need to find something. I started poking around the Internet looking for stuff and found out Camp Indian Springs, near here, needs people.

I spoke with them today and it sounds like it could be a match, which would be fun but exhausting. It's about two solid months of work with barely a day off in the middle of sessions, but it's working with kids and would be a great build-up to the PCR gig.

Even though I am hopeful about one or both of them, I am proceeding with applying for everything else. Nothing's detering that. I occasionally get a "you're not selected" or a "you have been referred to the selecting official" e-mail but I've really lost track of what I've applied for.

No comments: