Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Marking time and putting on mileage

Ah, the last 10 days have been nothing but passing time but getting nowhere. Easy to relate to, yek?

There's been no new progress on jobs. Still waiting out the federal government, which seems to move at a glacial pace on its best day. Last week I called temp agencies and today I met with an employment place and they might have something through June, which would be cool.

In the meatime, I'm still enjoying the Parks & Rec job. Basically I go every day and watch a kids game, hope no one gets hurt and give tips when I can. Mostly, especially for the T-ball, I try to help the coaches get their kids in and out of the dugout safely. It's like herding baby gerbils, I think.

Fast-forwarding to retirement, I think I'll be one of those super-busy people. I'm basing that on the fact that I am astoundingly busy for someone with no "real" job.

Every day, I wake up to Kocur and Dodger pushing (then pulling) for a walk, and then I get right on the job search, which is a workday in itself. I do yard work bzaf, sometimes I mail stuff I sell on half.com or do other little errands, and then somehow it's time to sit down and work on the book -- at least until job time. I do that then come back and work on the book some more, then Kocur wants to go out or something.

That's not even counting things like French class and working at the Red Cross, which I'm also plugging away at. I'm just amazingly busy.

So time's a-wasting. Last week, I had to explain the "'gap" in my resume for the first time. I almost laughed. It's not like I'm sitting in bed drooling. I'm actively working, for crying out loud.

So far, I haven't hit the final destination but am at least moving forward. And today, I hit a milestone. My little car, officially mine in all ways, hit 100k. I missed it, too. I knew it was coming but was on my way from talking to a fellow French student to meeting Beth for lunch and I just forgot to look down. Last time I checked it, it was 99983 and then -- boom! -- it was 100011.

The digital odometer isn't near as fun as the old ones, though. I missed the little blip, but had it been the whole 99999.9 thing I'd be upset.

No comments: