Friday, March 19, 2010

So like Morocco and yet so different

In Morocco, you have to improvise a lot. Bzaf. I had bamboo sticks as curtain rods with Coke caps holding them into the wall. The Coke bottles themselves were utilized as a poor man's (read: PC volunteer's) Tupperware, and kdim cartonas (old cardboard boxes) got salvaged and turned into shelves, Halloween decorations and English teaching implements.
So I'm pretty good at figuring out how to do something with nothing.
It comes in handy here in America, too.
I'm back playing softball and managed to pull my back. If I'm moving, I'm all right, really. It's just the getting up or sitting down process that hurts.
The popular advice is to ice it, but there are no ice packs at the house. Or peas or anything like that.
Luckily, Barry took us to Sam's this week and Zippy splurged.
I have a side of bacon cooling my back.

For obvious reasons, this exact scenario wouldn't have played out in Morocco, but it does bring to mind my second (and final, inchallah) nosebleed when I held a Coke can to my nose.

No comments: