Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Luck of the Irish

It's been a lovely, rainy and ugly St. Patrick's Day in the greater Havana area. Both Dodger and Kocur have become accustomed to their morning walk and make sure I get out the door early. Kocur stands on my back and digs at me in order to wake me up.

And, even though it's crappy weather, I had to get up and out. I'm still trying to solidify my permanent tag for my car and I went to Workforce Plus to try to get some pointers. Had to rush home to listen to a seminar on how to write a cover letter.

Inchallah, all this means I'll have employment soon. And, in fact, a little came my way today!

This afternoon, Parks & Rec called. Even though a couple weeks ago, they told me there wouldn't be any part-time work until fall, something came through.

It's not much -- maybe 10-15 hours a week, but I am a park supervisor, complete with rule books and shirt. Hamdullah.

Technically, I start Monday, but there is a kickoff event Saturday so I am working that, too. Yay, paychecks!

In celebration, and in part because I have to be able to communicate with people at the park, I got a cell phone. It's a little more gadget-y than my old one, although it's still basic and without a camera. I didn't get texting, either. I might regret that but I can always upgrade.

Sprint gives a 15 percent discount to Red Cross volunteers and government employees, but you can't double up. But I did get one of them and it comes to about the tax, so that's helpful.

So I'm connected, if not quite in the 21st century.

In other news, I'm watching 21 Jump Street. The Netflix on demand has a crappy selection, but I found that and am getting into it. I never watched it when it was out originally, but it's entertaining. Of course it is. Johnny Depp is always entertaining.

Trying to do yard work and plant stuff, but the yard is just a wreck. And it's been way too rainy.

Still plugging along on the book -- I've done eight chapters, but haven't gotten a status update on it lately, so I'm not sure if they're done yet. I'm thinking I'll be revising again, but I'm working on it. I do enjoy it.

Nothing else productive going on. Really, nothing else nonproductive. I scratch Kocur's ears quite a bit. Not as much as she'd like, but she's not lacking for attention.

No comments: