Monday, May 3, 2021

Eastbound and down

It’s Orthodox Easter Monday and the end of a four-day weekend. Next weekend, there’s another. I just couldn’t stand the thought of being locked up again and I had almost reached full immunity, so I took a train to a city that’s northeast from me (right in the corner near Russia) and then the following day went down to a city that’s pretty much due east of Minsk. I came home yesterday. I’m off today, too, but I have a class and other stuff to do so I came on back. Besides, I was limited to walking around and am pretty sure I saw everything I could see while on foot, including a dead man.

I’d met a friend for dinner on Friday night and, walking back up the pedestrian street to my hotel, saw both a police car and an ambulance. There were two uniformed officers nearby, standing near the corpse of an older man, who was sprawled out on the sidewalk. I guess he had a heart attack. My first thought had been a jumper but it wasn’t messy.

Previously, on the way to work last week, I witnessed the term “falling down drunk” in real life. Not being a drinker myself, it never occurred to me that could be a real thing. On Monday, I walked through “Old Town,” which is a cool area with bars and restaurants by the river. This was on my way into work on a Monday, and I walk out of my house at 7:45 a.m. Apparently Sunday night is a party night because there were people standing around talking or waiting for taxis. On my side of the street as I was walking, I saw a guy facing kind of a half wall, holding himself up on it. I kept walking and put together that he was peeing. Do men (besides Jerry Seinfeld in a parking garage) do this in America and I just never noticed? It sure happens overseas to the point where I just ignore it, which is what I did with this guy. As I got closer, he slowly turned, paused and then completely collapsed on the sidewalk with a smack.

But I don’t think the older man in Vitebsk was drunk. I really think he was dead.

Other than that, though, it was a lovely weekend away and at times I caught myself wondering why I hadn’t done it before. Then I’d realize, duh, COVID, and although at no point has Belarus shut down it wouldn’t have been a good idea. The first city I went to was, early on, Belarus’ early hotspot, too.

In two more weeks, a group of us are headed to the Chernobyl Zone and over Memorial Day weekend there is a smaller group heading another direction. Even though I’d really like to go international, it’s really nice to be able to go somewhere. It’s incredibly cheap, too. I think my three-day trip only came to maybe $100. It wasn’t intentional to scrimp or anything but I certainly don’t need souvenirs. I just took a million photos and walked by rivers.

Back at home, I finished up my first HR course. (Yay! 10 percent complete!) and am trying to figure out how to go through all this food. Today, I used up the rest of my chocolate chips to make cookies (they’re in the freezer), made Jiffy cornbread (which leaves one box) and finished off the chickpeas. I hadn’t intended to do that, but the brown sugar needed to go into an airtight container and I didn’t have one so I cooked the chickpeas. Unfortunately, though, the chickpea-rice-spinach concoction once again stocked my freezer. I really don’t need to cook at all and although I had planned on going to the grocery store, it turned out to be closed so I skipped it. The only thing I really want to get is ice cream (I have two things of caramel waiting to be consumed) but since I made cookies I can’t really justify that.

Next weekend, we’re having a little bike ride get-together so I’m hoping it’s decent weather. There’s been a lot of rain lately and it’s still chilly. I’m over it.

No comments: