Sunday, December 16, 2018

There once was a woman who lived in a CHU. Thankfully, it wasn’t me.


We had container housing units at Hope Village. You might not have seen these, but you can picture them: A tractor-trailer, minus the tractor, divided into a couple of rooms. That’s a container housing unit, or CHU. Hope Village’s didn’t have any sort of plumbing because we had a separate trailer for it, but the ones here in Erbil are “wet,” meaning they have a tiny bathroom in them. But no kitchen or washer and dryer, two things that I really appreciate for a three-week TDY.

Fortunately, I am not living in a CHU. Instead, I’m in a giant house that’s designated for female TDYers here. Right now, there are three of us. The other two are in two of the three upstairs bedrooms, which is also where the washers and a bathroom are. I’m currently the lone occupant of the downstairs, which consists of 2-3 bedrooms (really it’s three, but one is half the size of the others and only contains an iron), a giant kitchen, a bath and a half, an oversized hallway that’s both longer and wider than some bedrooms I’ve had, and 2-3 oddly configured sitting room/living room/formal dining rooms. I think these used to be two separate rooms, because there are two doors within a two feet of each other that lead to the oversized hallway.

They’re nice digs for a couple of weeks and I’ve really enjoyed cooking. Since the temporary employees meander in and out, it’s kind of hostel-like (though absolutely not hostile). There’s a lot of random leftover ingredients laying around, like pasta, spinach and garlic.

Since basically our compound here is literally a couple of city blocks, there are little grocery stores (smaller than 7/11s) that sell the basics, which is perfect for me since I’m a basic kind of person. I got rice, macaroni (I didn’t know about the cache at first), milk and eggs and then loaded up with carrots, onions and potatoes when the veggie guy came.

And I got outside! The coordinator sent out an email for a supply run (my employer would capitalize the “s” and “r” but I refuse to). I didn’t even know where it was but I signed up. I just wanted to go “outside.”

Oh what fun! The outside world! Iraq! Lovely Erbil, Iraq. Which, since most cities look very similar, a lot like anyplace in Turkey, Morocco and Jordan, but who cares, right? I was outside!

Only a few people can go, and since we don’t drive, we all went together in a motorpool ride. Everything’s coordinated and such, so we only had an hour, but that was plenty time to hit the grocery store, what since I didn’t need groceries and all. I did manage to buy these cookies I discovered in Istanbul that are basically Twix bars, brownie mix (we’re doing a Christmas potluck), a couple Snickers bars, milk and juice. Oh, and, quite randomly, a nail file. I’d tried to buy one from both Target and Walmart, but neither would allow the $1 metal item to be shipped to me. And then I found one in Erbil, go figure. Also about $1, but most everything else seemed cheaper. I got a heavy bag of groceries, handed over a $20, and got enough change to go to the coffee shop next door and have Iraqi tea, which, let’s get real, is the same thing as Turkish tea. Not a bad thing, of course.

The downside of the whole “outside” trip was me managing to pull my back getting out of the car, which, since we’re American, was a giant Suburban or something similar. By bad luck of the draw, I was in the back seat and, getting out, managed to step out in massive pain. If I had been anywhere else but on my one shot at being “outside,” I would have gone back to bed. I hurt so bad and basically eased myself through the whole shopping trip. At one point, I went for a bag of rice on the bottom shelf and instantly regretted it.

What it is with backs that makes them somehow susceptible to the silliest movements? I remember two other times when I hurt myself. One was playing softball, when I reached down to get a ball at the backstop and couldn’t get up. The other was when I went to play with Kocur, who was more than delighted that I brought myself down to her level and then couldn’t get back up. So much more convenient to play with her, right?

Yesterday after the “supply run,” I pretty much loafed around in pain. I’d gotten up early and ran, so I didn’t feel bad about that, but I did eat a Snickers, a small bag of malted milk balls (alas, not Whoppers, but he best I could do) and a Twix-ish cookie, but that was over the course of a long day, not in a sitting.

With a little of the scrounging thing, I also tracked down some chicken that clearly had been in the freezer for longer than my two roommates had been here, so they were fair game. I had baked chicken and rice plus spinach.

And Star Wars. For some reason, two of the channels here are playing Star Wars, like all of the way through. They’re different channels, probably run by the same media conglomerate, but very definitely, Star Wars was on one channel and The Empire Strikes back on another, so go figure. For whatever odd reason, they skipped The Force Awakens (though they did Rogue One) and went directly from Return of the Jedi to The Last Jedi. Han Solo, I guess, isn’t out on TV yet so it wasn’t in the mix. But was nice having the Force with me as I spent the day in pain.

No comments: