Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Get moving

Get shopping at the Grand Bazaar
It’s a great time now in Istanbul – our movement restrictions got lifted, so we are free to move about the city. And man, what a city!

Coincidentally, a friend came to visit the weekend after we got the green light, so I was able to go and play tourist. We visited the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Galata Tower and the Grand Bazaar, plus this quirky place called “The Museum of Innocence.” Later, I hit up the Pera Museum and Topkapi Palace.

Istanbul is just amazing. There is so much to do here, and I really hope I can make a dent in the list before I leave post.

My big errand over the weekend was to take the rug I bought in Morocco to be fixed. I bought it used and it had been unraveling at one end since I got it. It was only around $25 or so, but it’s got sentimental value since it’s a Peace Corps acquisition.  I took it to the same rug guy whom I’ve bought three rugs from. He’s going to fix it and I have to pick it up next weekend. This means I get another run at the Grand Bazaar, too, which is awesome.

Galata Tower. My favorite area.
Since the rug is heavy and bulky as heck, I plan on that being the last thing I do on Saturday. That morning, I’m hoping to do a little Bosporus ferry “cruise.” It’s not a cruise in that it’s a touristy thing with booze or anything. Well, they have those, but I’m not doing that. Instead, there is a public ferry and it makes a good handful of stops after it departs the Sea of Marmara area and then finally finishes up at the mouth the Black Sea two hours later. I forget the name of the city – I reckon I’ll have to figure that out before I leave – but you’re there for a couple of hours before you head home on the ferry. You have time to either head up to the Rumeli Fortress or you can just wander around the little city and then have a great seafood lunch. I’ve done it before and am looking forward to doing it again.

I am just so lucky to be posted here. There are so many options, whether you stay in Istanbul, wander around Turkey or leave town. Hopefully, I can hang around town for the most part before I leave. It’s really mind boggling how much there is to see and do.

Look closely at the pattern.

My favorite area is the Karakoy area surrounding the Galata Tower. There’s a street that’s got some fun shopping, not entirely touristy, and it goes straight downhill to the bridge. I could walk up and down it all day long, although I learned after a couple trips that there’s what’s called a funicular that will take you up the hill and then you stroll down, looking at the music stores, leather places, funky clothing stores and all kinds of random stuff, and you can get freshly squeezed pineapple or pomegranate juice on the way. As far as I’m concerned, it’s paradise.

As is the whole city.


No comments: