Saturday, July 1, 2017

Loved Ljubljana, SLOVEenia

Took advantage of a long weekend to head to Ljubljana for a couple days, returning on Tuesday. If I haven’t extolled the virtues of Istanbul Ataturk Airport this month, allow me to do so – I love that I can fly so many places nonstop and for about $100 per hour in the air.

Dragon Bridge
Slovenia was under two hours away, and I would have taken advantage of the flight time to watch a movie had my in-flight movie thingie worked, but it didn’t. I was in an emergency exit row – had all the legroom in the world – and therefore my screen was a popup kind instead of in the seatback in front of me. I could not pull the darn thing up. The person sitting across the aisle, who had to have thought I was an idiot, kept trying to show me, but I couldn’t get it to work. I asked a flight attendant and he struggled, then he brought the lead flight attendant, who couldn’t work it, either. That thing was stuck.

So I didn’t catch up on my movies, which was a slight bummer. I’d seen the start of “The Accountant” last flight but wherever that was – Helsinki, I guess – didn’t have entertainment on the way back. But if that’s the worst thing about any given air travel day, I’ll take it.

The worst on this was the fact I had to wake up at 3 a.m. to get to the airport but I muddled through it all right.

Anyhoo, I picked Slovenia at random. I bought some kind of package deal months ago on Expedia and did almost no research before going. I certainly had no clue the First Lady was from there. All I did was book a side trip, which turned out to be wonderfully successful, through Slovenia Explorer.

Ljubljana is a fairly small – OK, really small – city in a fairly small – OK, really small – country. If I heard the tour guide correctly, it’s only 256 kilometers across; you could bike it in two days. OK, maybe not YOU, but some people could.) I figured I’d do the city for two days and do a side trip to the big country sites one day. And as it turned out, I had plenty of time left over, which was good.

I ate well, but not here
First, the side trips: I went to Lake Bled, which is the picturesque lake with an island (complete with nunnery that has 99 steps leading up to it) and castle overlooking it. The waters were so clear I could see big fish swimming!

We took the little boat to the island and putzed around for about half an hour. The place was LOADED with Asian tourists, like 3-4 boats of them. After living in a crowded Asian city and visiting many, many others over the course of two years, I am over throngs of Asian tourists. At the nunnery, I tried really hard to steer away from the many groups.

We went up to the castle after the boat ride back, and the views were phenomenal. I also bought a cool little cross made of iron, which almost didn’t make it back. The three ends on it (it’s a stand) are all pointed, and you better believe airport security took a second look at that, but they let me through. I had wondered about it and made sure to pack it with the other souvenirs so they’d know it wasn’t some weapon for a vampire hunt.

The weather on the whole trip was love/hate. The first day (more on that later) was incredibly hot, and Lake Bled day had torrential rain. My little day trip group was spared the worst, because the skies opened after we’d visited the castle and were sitting outside at a café eating little crème cakes, for which Bled is known for. We’d finished and were chatting when the waiter came and hustled us into the café and the skies absolutely opened. We made our way to the van, and I could see lightning strike the castle we’d just visited. It was really awe-inspiring, honestly.

Boat ride on Lake Bled
So, in the downpour, we headed to our afternoon destination: the Predjama Castle and Postojna Caves. The castle is built into a cave, though not the Postojna one. That one was HUGE. I’m no spelunker, but I’ve been in a few touristy caves, though nothing like this. The deal was, you got on an electric train and it took you for a 10-minute, 5-kilometer ride through the cave, so it was really deep. Then you got out and walked through another kilometer of it, and it was simply beautiful. And, knowing that Slovenia is a little bit of a seismic area, kind of gave me the creeps being underground.

The castle was pretty big, too, and had never been inhabited by royalty. I don’t remember the guy’s name, but a wealthy man lived there and the townspeople hated him because he was wealthy. One day – and this delighted the 8-year-old on the tour – he went into the bathroom (an outside room of the castle) and an employee stuck a candle in the window. That sent some kind of signal to the townspeople, who then launched cannonballs at the bathroom, killing the guy as he took a dump.

The kid on the tour just loved it. He went on and on about it, which made the adults pretty much laugh, too.
My kind of bouquet

We had good weather for the castle, and when we were in the cave, it poured again but since we were underground we didn’t notice or care.

The day before, the weather about killed me. My flight landed before 9 a.m. and I had expected to catch the bus into town, getting there about 10. But I found out the bus only went every two hours and wasn’t going to leave the airport until 10, so I took a shuttle to the hotel, landing me in the city about two hours before I’d planned. After dumping my bag at the hotel and grapping a map, I set into the city, well before 10 a.m.

It was flipping hot. I think it topped out at 91 degrees, which isn’t bad if you’re in air conditioning, but Europe doesn’t do air conditioning. I tried to stay hydrated but wasn’t sure if the water was OK to drink (it is; it’s straight from the Alps). I was wandering around and realized I was starting to get sick from the heat.

So I found a place to sit and eat – I was famished – and had a great grilled salmon and some kind of garlic-spinach-potato goulish-ish side dish. (It was listed as “side dish” on the menu.) That came from a food stall at this amazing outdoor market and oddly, although it was pretty cheap compared to what I’ve seen in my travels lately, wound up as the most expensive meal I ate.

Predjama Castle
By 2 p.m., I was full and had pounded lots of water but had a vice going on in my brain, so I headed back to the hotel, about a 15-minute walk away. After checking in, which took forever because of some high-maintenance tourists before me, I crashed in the room and discovered the whole no-air conditioning thing. Considering my state, this was not good. I opened a window – which was kind of odd because I was on a ground floor and there was no screen; it was basically another door. There was also construction going on outside, so I could hear their conversation.

Anyway, I was feeling pretty miserable and just wanted to catch a nap to make the migraine go away. I took an emergency migraine pill but it was too late. The nausea went away after I tossed my cookies -- and the goulish-ish side dish – and I eventually managed to fall asleep, or at least nap enough to make it go away. By 8 p.m. I was fine, and I went back into town, where I discovered the whole little market area morphs into a lively entertainment zone of sorts in the evenings. Lots of street performers and throngs of people, which is pretty amazing considering the country only has 2m people and the city about 225k.

All I did, which is all I ever do, was wander around and take pictures. There’s a river running through the city, so that made me happy – I just love water and boats. Plus, they had an awesome garden that I hit the last day. It was the end of rose season but the hyacinths were in full bloom.

I'm a sucker for boats, water and flowers. 
Since the river winds through the city, there are bridges everywhere, like every block. They all have names and personalities, too. I did the free city tour the last day and there was much on the main architect of the city, who designed the bridges to be wide town square-like areas with art on them to encourage milling about instead of just crossing.

The most photographed one is the Dragon Bridge. There are 20 dragons on the bridge, and I think I took 5-6 pictures of them myself, in as many different lighting ways as I could.

Dragons are big there because one lives in the castle, which overlooks the city. I heard the legend a couple of times, but didn’t really grasp it all. Something about Jason and his Argonauts; they had to take the Argo apart and carry it over a mountain, running into a dragon along the way, or something like that.

I tried to absorb some of the history, as I know barely anything about the breaking up of Yugoslavia. It seems the Slovenians miss Yugoslavia, for the most part, but their role in the breakup was peaceful. Something about Serbs – there weren’t a lot of them – and questionable borders. Slovenia has really distinct borders – two rivers, a sea and the Alps, so there really wasn’t much of a question as to what Slovenia would be, so the breakup was quick and peaceful.

But it was kind of odd to me, to talk to the tour guide about it. I’ve never studied the breakup of the USSR – it wasn’t in my high school textbooks because it hadn’t happened yet – and it was odd to hear it from a firsthand witness. He was born in one country and now lived in another, although he hadn’t moved. That’s a weird concept for me to grasp.

No comments: