Sunday, April 9, 2017

Take it easy

Now that we’re on movement restrictions, my weekend options are a bit limited. There probably are lots of places in Istanbul that I can go to, like the Asian side, but this wasn’t the weekend to do it.

I’ve got the duty phone again and I don’t like wandering in public with it because you never know if you’re going to have to deal with some kind of crisis. So far, I have mostly dealt with people being scammed, but it’s better to do that where no one can overhear you. This weekend, I’m fine being homebound.

This past week was pretty miserable overall, and I’ve also had duty calls during the middle of the night, so I was exhausted. And behind at work on a couple of projects. One, in particular, is one I welcome but needed a couple of hours with no interruptions, which is impossible in my position. I’m the problem solver than everyone comes to, and I don’t have a door to close. There’s just no way.

Saturday morning after the gym, I went into work. I had to get there fairly early because there was a planned demonstration and I wanted to miss it; it gave me a good excuse to get up and in. I was there until 3 and really got the project under control, so that was good. (Oh, and bonus brownie points: my boss came in and saw me working.)

Saturday is the veggie market day, and I did both that and the grocery store. I usually do the grocery store on Sunday but I walk right past it on the way to work, so I stopped in.  Pretty darn productive.

Being so efficient on Saturday meant I had nothing left to do on Sunday. My alarm went off at 6:10, like usual, and I started to get up and go to the gym. I hadn’t even made it to a sitting position when the stray thought of “why the heck am I doing this now?” went through my head. I mean, I had absolutely nothing else to do, so what was the point? It’s not like I have to be at the gym at 6:30 on Sunday. It’s not going anywhere.

So I pulled up the covers and went back to sleep. It was fantastic.  I finally got up around 10, made pancakes, did a load of laundry and then hit the gym. I’m trying to change things up a bit and did the elliptical instead of the treadmill, and I did some ab thing and now my stomach is made at me. And I hung out in the steam room for far longer than I should have, but it was nice.

And the only other thing I’ve done today, besides fend off a scam call on the duty phone, is cook the veggies I brought yesterday and watch “Office Space.”


It’s been a great weekend.

No comments: