Sunday, January 22, 2017

Taking stock

Looks like I need to start baking. I did another run to the base commissary in Ankara and bought a cake mix and a blueberry muffin mix. Putting them up, I realized I have a whole bunch of baking supplies that I brought with me from the U.S.

It’s not the only stuff. I bought some cooking oil, onion soup mix, alfredo sauce, cream of chicken soup and all kinds of toiletries, among other things. You never know when a post is not going to have something really important, like dental floss. As it turns out, Turkey has plenty of stuff, even Listerine fluoride mouthwash, but that’s OK.

What I need to get a grip on, though, is how quickly or slowly I am using the stuff so that I can make sure I run dry at the end of two years. This is sometimes tough, because (especially food-wise), it’s easy to go on kicks. I drained an alfredo jar in a month once already, but pulled back when I realized I have 18 months left and only five more jars.  Fortunately, the commissary has more of that, as well as other important stuff like peanut butter and grits.

I’m not really worried about running out of stuff. I’m more concerned that I am not using up some of what I brought quickly enough. Case in point: laundry detergent. I brought two large things of laundry detergent with me, plus leftovers from Guangzhou. I’ve realized that I’m now six months into my post. That means, in a perfectly planned world, I would have used up a quarter of the stuff I brought. Not even close.

That, though, doesn’t spoil and can be drug along to the next post. What cannot be salvaged for another assignment is food. And boy, I’m going to have to start cooking (and baking) to make a dent in some of what I have on my shelves.

My mental dilemma, of course, is, that while I have had the bag of chocolate chip sitting there for six months, if I use it, I no longer have any chocolate chips. Do I want to be in that situation? Of course not. Everyone needs a bag of chocolate chips around, just in case.

Ditto with the cream of chicken soup. I love to cook with it. I brought six cans. I’ve used one in six months, so I should be OK to use another, right? Mentally, it’s just not that easy. What happens if, in February 2018, I really need three cans? If I keep up this pace, I won’t have three cans left.

It’s so much harder than it should be.

Powdered sugar is hard to come by. I brought a bag. Powdered sugar makes wonderful icing. Honestly, I don’t know what else you do with it. I made a cake recently for the Marines and couldn’t bring myself to use my powdered sugar. It would have taken ALL I had, leaving me with none. And I do use powdered sugar. I’ve made sugar cookies three times so far. You can’t ice them with anything else, and of course sugar cookies need icing. So how could I possibly use the rest of the entire bag in one shot? I solved this problem by buying a can of icing at the commissary last month and using half of it instead, which is why I just bought another cake mix.

I just discovered that I have two 10-pound bags of flour. For some reason, I thought these were grits. I’d put them, along with the grits, into the fridge to stave off any bugs. They were in the bottom drawer and all wrapped up in plastic bags from Target, so I basically stuffed them in there as soon as my shipment arrived and forgot about them. All this time I thought there were a bunch of those round containers of grits, but when I opened the drawer to get a new canister of grits, turns out, the bulk of the drawer is flour.

There’s no valid reason for me to have 20 pounds of flour. They sell flour in Turkey just fine. Lord knows I know, because, not realizing I had so much already, I’ve bought it here twice. Flour’s the main ingredient for my weekend pancakes, so I keep it in stock. I just don’t know how many cups of flour (how much I use in a week), there are in 20 pounds of the powdered stuff.

The best option seems to be to start baking, especially since I also have a bunch of Crisco and brown sugar. The commissary also had some Christmas chocolate chips on sale (red and green, I guess they’re chocolate of some sort) as well as Nestle Crunch baking bits. I’m going to separate the red chips from the green ones and then use each pile with the Nestle bits with each and make cookies for Valentines’ Day and St. Patrick’s Day.

The Marines will love me.  

No comments: