Sunday, December 18, 2016

Kid in a candy store

Yesterday, I got tapped to do the monthly store run to Ankara, which has a commissary. Oh, man, it was fabulous.

We have a little association that runs a store of American foods, like mint Oreos, Tabasco sauce, Hidden Valley salad dressing and so on. There’s cereal, bacon, wine and stuff, too. Honestly, I don’t go into it because for the most part, I’m fine with the local economy. I can get Oreos (though not mint) I brought Tabasco with me and I am a naked salad person anyway. The prices in our little store in Istanbul are incredibly marked up, too, so to me, an Oreo is an Oreo. I can go local. (Actually, I haven’t bought Oreos here because here exists this fabulous Turkish cookie that is basically a round Twix bar, which is the bomb. But I digress.)

Once a month, our little store restocks from the commissary that’s on the military base in Ankara. As an employee in Mission Turkey, I have the right to go down there at any time, but it’s five hours away. That’s a long way to go for a few items if you’re just you. If you’re shopping for the store, though, it’s a great time to do your own.

I had no idea what it was like, but it was basically your regular American grocery store. Our store manager put in the bulk order before, so it was already crated but I have a few orders for other people I needed to track down, so I got to do my own shopping while I was at it.

In Istanbul, I don’t buy many groceries at the store. I basically get chips, cookies, milk (in a box) and juice, then, when I need to reload on rice, pasta, sugar or flour, that. But the veggies come from the street market and I have a ton of spices already. Essentially, I don’t dwell in the grocery stores.

But I dwelled in this one. They had stuff I can’t get in Istanbul, like Breyer’s mint chocolate chip ice cream. That is the absolute best ice cream ever and I was so happy for it. I got a half-gallon, or liter, or whatever it is they come in. I got root beer, something that is truly American. I’ve had A&W in Jakarta and that’s the real thing, but something I had called “root beer” in Jerusalem was awful. American root beer is the real deal and I got a 12-pack of it, plus a single one for the road home.

Someone gifted me a cake mix awhile ago and I was going to make it for the Marines, so I bought some Betty Crocker icing. (I love my Marines, but I’m not using my powdered sugar for their icing!) Also got some Nestle Quik, which I realize now I can get locally but whatever, and some hot chocolate mix. And Cheetoes, which are fabulous. There are also Cheetoes in Istanbul, but there were also Cheetoes in Guangzhou and those were not only not the same but were awful, therefore I have been scared to try the Istanbul ones. And WintOGreen Lifesavers and Whoppers! (Both those were kind of stale, but an awesome kind of stale.)

They also had some good-to-know stuff: alfredo sauce, moon pies, grits. I don’t need any of that now, but knowing I can get some in the future is good.


And there will be a future. I now on the board of the association that runs the store, and I’m the one in charge of the monthly runs. I don’t necessarily have to go, but I have to find someone to do it. The runner and the driver get $150 each for the day, so it’s not bad, really. It is a 12-hour day, though. We left at 5 a.m., a crime in itself, and it was wet and snowy. Quite a long day, but when you’re throwing back Barq’s root beer and eating WintOgreen LifeSavers on the ride home, it’s not bad. 

No comments: