Monday, November 28, 2016

But who’s counting?

I got my official time from the 10k – seven minutes faster than Siem Reap! This does not mean I ran any faster, but it does mean I ran more than I ran last time. There’s still a large number of walking steps in there, but I’m happy with it.

So euphoric, in fact, I signed up for another 10k in Antalya in March. I want to go there anyway, and this gives me something to work around. I already got the flight.

I came in 470th. No idea how many thousands ran, but I was thrilled. Had no idea they counted like that. My friend I went with came in 86th, something like 53 minutes. That’ll never happen. I’m endurance over speed.

Coming up on my six-month anniversary in Istanbul, and I finally got out and about a little bit. With the departure status, it’s been hard to, not because I necessarily feel unsafe (though we’re constantly warned to be vigilant, etc.) but because I’ve been working every weekend since it happened.

There’s just so much to do, but I had friends coming over for Thanksgiving and had planned to go sightseeing with them. They had to cancel, but I figured what the heck. I finally did the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, which are the two big things right in the big square downtown.

I’ve only scratched the surface, but I maintain I could live here 16 years and say the same thing. There’s just so much history here.

This week, I am in Frankfurt for a class. Although it’s not a vacation, not working overtime has the potential to feel like one. I did go into work for a couple of hours on Saturday, plus had the duty phone, but as of now I am sitting in a hotel room and ready to go work from 9 to 5 and nothing else, inchallah.

I had a great flight and am camped out at the Marriott, which, although really nice, might not have been the right choice. I went with Marriott because I get points (and am a stockholder!) but it turns out it’s 5 kilometers from the place, not just across the street. There’s an extensive transport system but I haven’t figured it out yet, so I am thinking I might walk today. It’s a long walk, but I won’t be getting into the gym so I am going to try it this morning.


There is a good possibility I will regret it. It’s cold!

No comments: